Photosmart 8450: Ink Carts Discontinued, What Next?

MisterT

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 8450, Brother 2380DW
I've recently learned that HP has discontinued the ink carts for my printer. Amazon is still selling HP carts but buyer reviews indicate Amazon is shipping out-of-date carts; some have arrived dry as a bone!

I've used the 8450 since I bought it new for $130 after the model was discontinued. I don't print a lot and the printer is in great shape; it's always been protected by a cover. I would hate to recycle something that still has a lot of life in it.

I'm looking for advice on third-party carts that work like the HP carts. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest. I just want to be able to do what I've always done: Use the printer driver and my stash of HP paper. I usually print 5x7, nothing larger than letter size prints. Family stuff, some personal projects.

I've only had one third-party ink company suggested elsewhere (Abacus) but the negative reviews put me off. Someone suggested that people on this forum know their stuff and would be helpful.

For some reason I've never been able to get ColorSync to work for me and I'm pretty knowledgeable about Macs. I've gotten good results keeping it simple. Go Figure.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to this website it looks like HP is still selling the cartridges for your printer, but maybe the website is not up-to-date? If the cartridges are not available from HP then I suggest a Google search for the high capacity versions of the cartridges, HP96 and HP97. You will find more than one supplier of remanufactured cartridges, like this, this and this.

ING

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
B210e
What about refilling of cartridges?
I know that HP manufacturers hate it but if you found inks compatible with HP printers it will be a chance.

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
if you know how and when to refill ,then you will be able to use the cartridges as long as the print head is able to print ( between 5-20 refilling), because some time the print head fail even if the cartridge is full of ink.HP make their print head not to last for long time , i used to fill HP 56 and 57 cartridges when ever the estimated printed pages is 3/4 the number of pages that can be printed with this cartridges (usually written on the box). some use the weight of the cartridges as indicator for the timing of refilling, the optimum timing is before low ink massage appear. if this massage appear then you will be able to use the refilled cartridge but the printer will keep showing low ink massage because the low ink sensor is activated. if red cross appear on the cartridge logo then you will not be able to use the cartridge again even if it is full because the empty sensor is activated unless you do resetting , which in some HP printer need special procedure, now i connect the cartridges to the continuous ink supply system and i am using the same cartridges for more than a year printing 10 times the number of paper estimated to be printed by these cartridges.
(if you decide to refill then you have to get a priming tool).

MisterT

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 8450, Brother 2380DW
Many thanks for the information. Refilling isn't an option; I simply do not do enough printing. I will check the HP and third-party suppliers and plan my next move. Thanks again!