photoshop 7 helppppppp

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok i have photoshop 7 and classroom in a book to try and self teach how to use this program. did i get a program that is way too powerful for what i am trying to do, i have photos that sometimes the flesh tones are way too red, so i thought that i could adjust the color on several photos, but this proram is pretty difficult. should i be using a different program maybe thanks

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
mrelmo,

As you have already surmised, Photoshop is "pretty difficult". The problem is that editing packages that are easy to use tend to have limited capabilities. Photoshop is probably the most widely used profesional grade image editing program - it is capable of doing almost anything that you might want to do. Along with this versatility comes a very steep and long learning curve.

Fortunately, there are a very large number of tutorials on the web for correcting specific problems. For example, here is one of many on correcting color casts (http://www.twistedtreephoto.com/Photoshop tutorial/Photoshop tutorial1.html). If you aren't up to speed on layers and layer masks, start with tutorials on those subjects. Here is a site that includes these types of tutorials for beginners (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorials/Essential_Tutorials_for_Photoshop_ImageReady.htm).

If the colors on your photos are off, are you setting the white balance in your camera, or are you allowing your camera to set it automatically? AWB is easy to use, but it will often introduce unwanted color casts. Also, is your monitor calibrated? If not, the image could be correct and the monitor could be introducing the color casts.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad is correct, but if you need to do some quick editing, I would try a free trial of ACDSee..it comes with a simple photo that will let you remove colour casts, or sliders where you can add or subtract RGB colours individually. It even has an "autocorrect" feature if in a hurry, but I would play around with it a bit... Photoshop is wonderful, but you'll have to put in a lot of time to learn the fine points.....

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For something in between, you can buy Photoshop Elements for under $100. Excellent and simple control to correct white balance, reduce red caste overall, or isolate a face and adjust the hue, color density, and brightness. Any program that has multiple and failrly powerful features will have a learning curve, but once you learn a few tricks you can be very proficient with your photo editing.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Try loading iTunes, go to the store and do a search for Photoshop (and Elements) tutorials, free versions. Very helpful video in "Killer Tips" addressing skin tone corrections (it has been a while, but I saw it either there or another tutorial).

I also have earlier versions of ACDSee and Paint Shop Pro. Manuchau is absolutely correct as ACDSee editor is probably the easiest to learn basic editing to get you up to speed and ready for something with more power such as Photoshop Elements.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
as always this forum has given me some great advice, i now have a couple options that i will be able to work with thanks for the input

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
A free alternative of Photoshop is GIMP - I use it all the time!

rarebear

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Go to Lynda.com and you can watch the first several toturial movies for photoshop for you to get a start..

You want to go to IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS and play with the adjuster up there..

Or the pro way is bottom right corner hover over buttons and look for adjustment layer and choose adjustments

Also try youtube.com and see if anyone has any tutorials

The online stuff is better than the books but I did enjoy PS WOW Effects, but the lynda movies are really good

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi again Mrelmo,
One question - do the images display in Photoshop the same as they do using any other viewer program? i.e. same colours, saturation, etc. It may be a simple case of setting the proof setup to your monitor profile.
May I add that once you start getting into PS (even with its complexities), you'll never go back to a simpler program.
Ed.

rarebear

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
EdwardM is right, PS takes years to learn.. I have been using it since PS 4 1998 I think and its now on #10 and I still dont know 1/2 or what stuff does :)

But you can make some awesome corrections

Another great program to use with PS is LightRoom2

I think this would be for simple edits, printing and posting pics on the web with galley maker.....