Photos are always too RED

Davehuge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX215
I have an Epson SX215 which I have been very happy with.

It works perfectly for printing general documents but whenever I print my photographs they always come out too red. It's always been like this.

Is there a global setting that I can adjust to fix this?

Thanks, Dave.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Could you please print a nozzle check, scan it and post it here , which type of
cartridges are you using - Epson or 3rd party ?

Davehuge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX215
Hi, I was using genuine Epson cartridges and now I'm using pattern cartridges, but to be honest I get the same results with both.

Here's my Nozzle Check print out...it looks good to me.

NozChk.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
yes, the nozzle check looks o.k., you are printing your photos ? Are you processing them in any way in a photo editor - Photoshop or alike ? Did you try to use the driver, the color adjustments to compensate the red cast - to reduce the red ? Are you doing any color management - profiles - calibrated monitor etc ?
You may use a test image like this one for a printout to see how that is doing , it includes as well some gray scale areas which should not print with a color cast. Other test images can do the same job,
https://www.marrutt.com/calibration-image-jpg

Davehuge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX215
You are printing your photos ? Are you processing them in any way in a photo editor - Photoshop or alike ? Did you try to use the driver, the color adjustments to compensate the red cast - to reduce the red ? Are you doing any color management - profiles - calibrated monitor etc ?

Yes I'm printing my photos. Photos taken with my Canon EOS SLR. I'm not processing them at all, just copied straight from the camera onto my computer then printing them.

The images and colours look great on my computer and other computers.

I guess I could process each photo I wish to print and reduce the red but it can get very tiresome, I was hoping there is a way of making the adjustment once.

Thanks for the link to 'Test Image'. I try printing it today and give you feedback.

Thanks, Dave.

Davehuge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX215
Just printed the 'Test Image'. It definitely is too red, for example the motorcycle engine in the top right hand corner has a pink tinge to it.

Where do I go from here? Is it possible to tweak the driver and reduce the red?

Here's what I'm using...

Epson SX215
PC running Windows 10
I'm printing directly from 'Windows Photo Viewer'

Many thanks, Dave.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What ink are you using? Is it OEM Epson or aftermarket?

What paper are you using - brand and type?

What printer profile are you using - default installed with the printer or a customized ICC?

IS the Paper Type set correctly (Glossy, Matte, etc) in the printer to match the type of paper used?

The accuracy of color reproduction of the printed image at its most basic level is a partnership between the ink (OEM or aftermarket), paper (manufacturer and type) and printer ICC profile. (OEM or custom made) Change one of these variables and the color accuracy may have very unpleasant results. If you use an aftermarket ink or paper other than the recommended paper by the manufacturer of your printer then you may need a customized printer ICC profile.

Additionally, any manipulation of the image prior to printing, such as with Photoshop, can alter the color accuracy as well.

One other consideration is that the color space of monitors is different than that for printers. What looks good on the monitor may not look as good on the printed page. This gets into the topic of color management, which is an ocean, deep and wide.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Where do I go from here? Is it possible to tweak the driver and reduce the red?
Try the instructions in PeterBJ's post #5 link. Settings may have different names or availability because you have an Espson and he used a Canon printer.

Davehuge

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX215
Hi Stratman

I'm using aftermarket cartridges.
I'm using plain paper and also glossy Epson photo paper (same problem on both, too red).
What printer profile? I'm just using the standard driver that downloaded from Epson's website, I haven't adjusted anything.

I'm not looking for absolute perfect colour replication, I just want to turn down the RED for all printing rather than having to adjust each photo individually.

Is this possible? Can anyone point me to instructions how to do this?

Thanks, Dave.