1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Florida MG7720 Print problem...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Photo quality size printing limit

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by calmo, May 27, 2016.

1. May 27, 2016
    calmo

calmo Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma MG5420
    I bought my Canon Pixma MG5420 because I wanted good photo printing capability plus a scanner combined. I have historically used HP injet photo printers (not all-in-ones), and frequently print enlargements on 8-1/2 x 12-1/2 photo paper cut down from 11 x 17 stock. But when I tried to print a new picture for my gallery on my Canon, I found that my printer will not print photo quality on paper larger than letter size. It will print standard quality on legal size, but as soon as you select photo quality printing, the legal size option disappears. I tried printing a photo in standard quality in order to get the printer to accept legal size, but the print quality was totally unacceptable. So, does anyone know a trick to get an MG5420 to print PHOTO QUALITY on legal size paper?

2. May 27, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    Instead of using the standard paper sizes supplied by Canon why don’t you create your own custom size, set your Media to Glossy Paper and Print Quality to High and then select Custom size and click on apply..

paper size.PNG click to enlarge..

3. May 27, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    I have a Canon MG5550 that is very similar to the MG5420. I checked out various settings for photo printing. I am able to select "Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" and the Legal paper format, but only if borderless printing is unselected. If I select borderless printing Legal is no longer allowed, only allowed formats are then Letter, A4 and a few smaller formats.

Canon printers seem to only support borderless printing for a few formats, not for all the paper formats the printer can handle.

The Hat likes this.
  4. May 27, 2016
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    R265, L300, L800, Pro 7600
    That's about the same with Epson printers, and depending on the model, some may not support borderless printing on plain paper, and custom formats are not supported either

PeterBJ and The Hat like this.
  5. May 28, 2016
    calmo

calmo Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma MG5420
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! That's the breakthrough I needed. Deselect borderless printing!! The telephone customer rep at Canon wasn't able to tell me that. I'm back in business!

PeterBJ, turbguy and The Hat like this.