Phew.... A Day of Rest...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I decided to give my printer the day off for a change, because I am in the process of upgrading the Filament Extruder motor, I have never liked where it was sitting, so I am moving it away from the Z screw. :ya
I’ll come back with an update when its finished and working, Hopefully... :hide

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Up-date...

I wanted to move the extruder from its current position because it wasn’t that easy to swap filament cables from one colour to the next while trying to navigate around everything as quickly as possible.

I started by removing the filament and electrical cables first, then removed the filament gears and surrounding mechanism, and the last remaining hidden screw holding on the motor.
Extruder 6.jpg Extruder 5.jpg click to enlarge.

I found me a piece of aluminium alloy and cut it to make a duplicate bracket to hold the motor, I would have made this bracket out of PLA plastic except I didn’t have large enough screws to accommodate the extra thickness that the plastic bracket would have to be, and if I get new screws then I might just do that.
Extruder 2.jpg Extruder 4.jpg

I did a dry run by fitting the motor (No screws) to the bracket and the bracket in the original position first, then it was only a matter reversing the procedure to permanently fit the motor and new bracket to the printer.
Extruder 1.jpg Extruder 3.jpg

I re-used the cover I’d made for the top of the extruder mechanism, (Doesn’t fit that good now), feed the filament cable through the mechanism and I was ready to print again, job done, its now only a matter of testing it in it's new position, but I’m sure it will work properly.
If not its back to the drawing board...:hide

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow man... you really are all about tweaking your machine. I'm definitely in the camp of "if it aint broke, don't fix it"... at least with the main bits.

I love all the pics and info you post, thanks!

Keep us posted on how it goes.