PGI-72 resetter flashing repeatedly.

Ketil Wright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1000
I have used a resetter (& the rest of the kit) from Precision Colors for the pgi-72 cartridges for about a year now. The resetter has worked well until this afternoon.

When inserting one of the print cartridges, we are to expect a brief flash followed by a long flash. The long flash indicates that the cartridge reset is complete.

However today, on several cartridges, I saw a repeating sequence of short flashes, but no long flash. I cleaned both sets of contacts with an pencil eraser, and blew them off with lens blower. This appeared to help a bit, but I still had to make many attempts until I was finally able to reset all 10 of the cartridges. I was about ready to fetch some alcohol to see if that would help, but was reluctant to let that anywhere near the ink.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?
Is there an expected lifespan of cartridges ? Of the resetter?

Regards

Ketil

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As far as we know, both resetter and chip should theoretically last longer than the printer but sometime chips both in the cartridge and resetter can fail for any reason.

When that happens, usually it is no longer functional at all. Since you eventually managed to get them to reset, it points to a faulty contact. I generally do not like the eraser trick as some erasers are quite abrasive and some plastic erasers, though non abrasive will leave a plastic film leading to poor contact. The best thing to use is electronic contact cleaner but those can generally be found in electronic repair shop supplies. Not many people know where to find these. Lacking that, the use of clean cloth wetted with alcohol is the next best thing. Try cleaning the contacts both on the resetter and ink tanks. Did you by chance ever spill ink or leak ink onto the contacts?

By the way, the better way to reset is to use BOTH hands. Hold the resetter in one hand and the cartridge in the other. Keep the cartridge horizontal and slide it across to contact the resetter. This provides a more stable and natural movement and it also will not allow ink to drip down into the resetter if ink should come out. Again...two hands. The resetter would induce you to lay it on the table and push down on the tilt....but that will often lead to incorrect alignment as it slides down.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Could this be from a low battery in the resetter?

Ketil Wright

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1000
I waited to chime in until I'd had the opportunity to do what Mike suggested. Worked perfectly. A short burst of Maxpro contact cleaner on the resetter & all carts reset like they should. Thanks.
The eraser trick is probably better suited to flat contacts like PCI cards.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A short burst of Maxpro contact cleaner on the resetter & all carts reset like they should. Thanks.
Congratulations on your success! :clap

Thank you for the feedback to Mikling's suggestion. Happy printing.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
As far as we know, both resetter and chip should theoretically last longer than the printer but sometime chips both in the cartridge and resetter can fail for any reason.

When that happens, usually it is no longer functional at all. Since you eventually managed to get them to reset, it points to a faulty contact. I generally do not like the eraser trick as some erasers are quite abrasive and some plastic erasers, though non abrasive will leave a plastic film leading to poor contact. The best thing to use is electronic contact cleaner but those can generally be found in electronic repair shop supplies. Not many people know where to find these. Lacking that, the use of clean cloth wetted with alcohol is the next best thing. Try cleaning the contacts both on the resetter and ink tanks. Did you by chance ever spill ink or leak ink onto the contacts?

By the way, the better way to reset is to use BOTH hands. Hold the resetter in one hand and the cartridge in the other. Keep the cartridge horizontal and slide it across to contact the resetter. This provides a more stable and natural movement and it also will not allow ink to drip down into the resetter if ink should come out. Again...two hands. The resetter would induce you to lay it on the table and push down on the tilt....but that will often lead to incorrect alignment as it slides down.

A nice little trick that can keep the resetter and carts working... thanks!