Pgi 225 & Cli 226 Chips Are Blowing Using Usb Resetter.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I’m having trouble resetting the chips on my pgi 225 and cli 226 carts for my MX 892 printer. I’m using a USB resetter purchased from inkjetcarts.com. I also purchased their resettable chips so I might change over all the carts I have left from my old printer (MX860) pgi 220 & cli 221. The USB powered resetter I purchased is supposed to be able to reset both OEM chips and the chips I purchased from Inkjet carts. When I first started resetting these chips I blew out a couple of the new chips and also a couple of the OEM chips. I contacted Inkjetcarts thinking I had a faulty resetter. They told me I was probably holding the cart too long on the resetter and I should hold just long enough to get a light and then release it. I even received a personal phone call from Ross Hardie of Inkjetcarts when he heard of the problem I was having. He pretty much told me the same thing, just hold it on long enough to get a light. They sent me a new one at no charge and then I also had to purchase two more sets of their chips. I reset a full set of carts with the new resetter and the new chips with no problems. Yesterday I tried to reset and refill two more sets of carts and blew 6 more chips. I’ve been refilling for several years now and have never had a chip resetting problem. Is anybody else out there having a problem? I’m thinking maybe I should just stick with OEM chips and purchase a std battery operated resetter like I used on my old 220 and 221 carts. Is there a source for purchasing OEM chips?
When I say the chip has blown, the printer tells me it does not recognize this cartridge. When I first put one these cartridge and chips into the printer the red led lights up on it. Once it go through the cycle of trying to recognize it the red led no longer is lit. If I remove the cart and then put it right back in the red led will light again until it goes through the cycle of recognizing it again. Is there something else wrong here that Im not catching.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Do you have a picture of the resetter and can I also ask:
- how you are powering it?
- which cartridge chips blew?

In terms of purchasing replacement chips the easiest thing to do is spend some time on eBay watching for empties being listed. That or talk to your local Office Depot or equivalent to see if they'll let you rummage in their recycled cartridge bin(s).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only problem I’ve had with OEM chips blown was with the cyan colour, I lost two in a month but I was using a battery powered resetter at the time, compatible chips are not the best at resetting, they usually fail after only one or two resets, in fact most fail on their first. (OEM are best)

I found while using a USB powered resetter (CLI-8) that you only have to wait a split second for the LED light to appear to achieve a successful reset, unlike the battery powered one which take up to 3 seconds to work, the newer CLI-42 redsetter takes 5 + seconds to work.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Lost magenta, cyan, and pgi 225s black So far aok with cli 226 black and yellow.
this is an all white USB resetter sold by inkjetcarts.com They told me I needed the usb version to reset their chips as well as OEM chips.
It is plugged into usb port on front of my desktop pc. I thought about changing to a usb port on front of the printer but havnt tried it yet. That's what Ross told me just as soon as I seen led lite up.
What also mystifies me is the resetter has a red and green led inside. Some times I get green than red and other times I get red than green and sometimes just the red led inside the resetter. Good idea to try and scavenge chips from old carts if they will let me. I guess Ill start checking Ebay for used OEM carts also.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Not all chips on compatible cartridges can be reset, some are of the single use type.

I don't know your resetters, but I have never had these problems with my original Redsetters for battery operation. The chips are for 3.3 V operation, so somehow the 5 V from USB must be reduced to this level. This could be done with a thee terminal 3.3 V low-dropout regulator, 3 series connected silicon diodes preferably in combination with a load resistor, or a 3.3 V Zener diode in connection with a dropping resistor. Some blue or white LEDs have a forward voltage drop of around 3.3 V so a such led could do double duty as both a voltage regulator and pilot lamp.

The tolerance on the 5V USB voltage is +/- 0.25 volts, so if your USB voltage is low and small signal diodes are used for the voltage dropping, the resetter's supply voltage might go under 3 V which will make resetting uncertain and probably ruin the chip by write errors. Overvoltage can of course also ruin the chips.

Have you got the possibility to check the resetters 3.3 V supply voltage, using a good digital multimeter?

Using a USB cable and a digital multimeter I tested the USB voltage on my new desktop computer, a laptop and the Pict-bridge connector on the front of a Pixma 5200. The voltages were 4.86 V, 5.05 V and 4.97 V.

Could you upload scans of the circuit boards of the resetters using 200 dpi, for possible identification of the supply voltage regulator, something like this scan of the battery powered redsetter for PGI-520/CLI-521?:

Redsetter-200dpi.jpg

See more about resetters here: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/blue-chip-resetter-canon-can-they-go-bad.7592/

Last edited:

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
resetter1.jpg
Checked voltage with 3 different meters got 5.06 5,07 5.08

Not sure if I uploaded this pic the right way
Took hi def pic and redueced size to 29x35 cm and the changed to 200 pix/inch
When plugged in and the button is depressed I get a about 7 or 8 green flashes and than a constant red from the one led.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks to me like the diodes D1 and D2 in the lower right corner are voltage dropping diodes, and C1 and C2 are decoupling capacitors. I wonder why only two diodes are used, I would have used 3 and kept the voltage down by adding a 1 kOhm load resistor across C2.

The 0.6 V voltage drop across a conducting silicon PN junction is only a rule of thumb, it is current dependent and for small currents it tends to go towards zero, meaning C2 could charge to close to 5 V, when the resetter is connected to USB, but not in use. Can you connect the PCB to a USB cable and measure the voltage over C2 without pressing the contact button at the top?. My guess is that over voltage kills your chips.

Last edited:

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
I got 3.63V at C2. Is that to much? Being honest here I really don't know what IM doing here just following your instructions.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know how much is too much, but I don't like it. I suspect this could be the reason for your resetter burning out the chips. If I were to convert my Redsetter to USB-powered operation, I would aim for a supply voltage of 3.0-3.3 V.

Your measurement indicates each diode is dropping (5.07-3.63)/2 = 0.72 V. The voltage drop over the diodes vary with current and type of diode. I did some testing and found that 3 series connected 1N4001 diodes in combination with a load resistor gave the desired supply voltage, I don't remember the exact value. The voltage drop over one 1N4001 was much closer to 0.6 V when at least a few milliamperes were drawn. Without the load resistor the voltage drop was almost 0.

But I guess you wouldn't like to unsolder the diodes and replace them with the 3 x 1N4001's plus the load resistor?

Here in Europe the Original Redsetter is popular, but it might difficult to find in the US? They are sold by Octoinkjet UK, but better ask their support before ordering one, the ads look a bit confusing. If you order a resetter from Europe, remember to order the American model for PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges.

As the no-load voltage of a new and fresh CR2032 Lithium cell is 3.3 V this battery powered resetter from Precision Colors won't zap your chips by applying too much voltage: http://www.precisioncolors.com/c6c2reset.html

Could anybody upload a scan of the circuit board from a USB powered PGI-x25/CLI-x26 Original Redsetter, so I might find out how the voltage reduction is done?

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Here in Europe the Original Redsetter is popular, but it might difficult to find in the US? They are sold by Octoinkjet UK, but better ask their support before ordering one, the ads look a bit confusing. If you order a resetter from Europe, remember to order the American model for PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridges.
On this point, I'll double check something as to availability but I seem to remember the 225/226 REdSETTER might exist.

I haven't stocked it because the green USB powered ones we got initially just don't sell.