PC Cartridge Swap Sequence Question

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
Edited "to declare problem solved. Left post intact for future reference" End edit

I hope this isn't too moronic of a question but I need to ask anyway since sometimes I am a moron. I have read all the directions and still not sure what to do right now. P600 still on supplied OEM carts

I have a chip resetter coming in Monday and I just received my Precision Color Pre-filled carts late last night.

Now the instructions about switching blacks has me confused since my PK is pretty low and I have no idea if it's enough for a swap even setting conserve ink on swap on the printer. I have no low ink warnings yet. Should I put in one or two "switchable" blacks in now or wait for resetter? I don't want to get stuck with the printer thinking there isn't enough PK and require me to get an OEM PK cart to afraid to switch to PK.

What about the colors. Should I put in the PC carts now and save the OEMs?

@The Hat @mikling

Below is the current status as reported on the printer

ink levels.jpg

Last edited:

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
If you have your carts from PC, you can go ahead and put them all in the printer.

The main reason you want to keep the OEM carts (particularly the blacks) is if you encounter a situation where the ink level is too low to do an ink switch but not low enough to auto-reset. Then you use an OEM cart for the switch, and go back to the refillable afterwards. I haven't encountered that situation though, and once you have the resetter you don't have to worry about that anyway.

Greatwhitewing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor P600
If you have your carts from PC, you can go ahead and put them all in the printer.

The main reason you want to keep the OEM carts (particularly the blacks) is if you encounter a situation where the ink level is too low to do an ink switch but not low enough to auto-reset. Then you use an OEM cart for the switch, and go back to the refillable afterwards. I haven't encountered that situation though, and once you have the resetter you don't have to worry about that anyway.

That PK reported level is enough to make a black ink swap?

Forgot to ask if I should do anything to the OEM carts to preserve them for later re-use if needed?

Thanks so much for putting me at ease. Don't know if you read where I think I destroyed a 1400 thinking I knew what I was doing. Trying as best I can to treat this one right.

Taksmon

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805, SC-P600
That PK reported level is enough to make a black ink swap?
I'm not sure actually. Maybe Mike can tell us at what % a swap is no longer possible. I can say that if any cartridge (not just PK or MK) has the yellow !, you won't be able to do the ink swap. I taped over the exit ports on my OEM carts and put them in a bag, just in case.

Have fun! :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry @Greatwhitewing, I know very little about theses Auto Reset Chips so it would be foolish of me to comment on your current situation, but Mikling can give you a guiding hand...