paper weight question......Canon ip4600

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Is it true that paper heavier than105 gm2 can cause problems with a canon inkjet ip4600 printer? I need to print business cards, heavier paper looks better or? And what about photographic paper.....is heavier not better quality? Also I'd been thinking about occasionally printing to textured paper...is this not possable with pixma ip4600? Any guidelines here appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have successfully printed 300 gm board in my iP4700 and iP4500 on a regular basics, but you can only load 5 or 6 boards at a time.

One of the best ways of increasing the weight (Feel) of your business cards is to laminate them using a matte surface laminate, it can add up to 250 gm more..

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have successfully printed 300 gm board in my iP4700 and iP4500 on a regular basics, but you can only load 5 or 6 boards at a time.

One of the best ways of increasing the weight (Feel) of your business cards is to laminate them using a matte surface laminate, it can add up to 250 gm more..
Obliged. I asked the question, because, from Canon*s own site.....
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART102019

„Use the recommended paper types and amounts iP3600 / iP4600“.....

Unusable paper

„Do not use the following types of paper.......

Paper that is too thick (plain paper, except for Canon genuine paper, weighing more than 28 lb / 105 gsm).....“ !!!!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have just done a test with an iP3600, which is similar to the iP4600, but with a smaller print head and no duplex print capability.

It handles 200 gsm cardboard from the rear tray perfectly, even if this is not recommended by Canon. I think this cardboard weight would be ideal for business cards. The cardboard should only be fed from the rear tray, and duplex printing should not be attempted. If you want double sided print on your cards, make it in a two print operation.

The printer also handles the popular photo papers from Aldi and Lidl very well even if these papers are 300 gsm and 280 gsm and not made by Canon. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon are full of their own confidence, because they know most will follow their advise, just try out your own paper stock is the best advise of all, if we all followed Canons ruling, we wouldn’t be using 3rd party inks !

You can use even heavier boards if you buy A3 size stock and cut it in half, that way you get the benefit of heavy stock by having the grain running across the board instead of lengthwise.

The weight of paper stock varies considerably, for instance, Lidl photo paper is rated at 280gm but that would only be equal to 160gm if it were plain paper, the gram weight is always lighter in terms of thickness for glossy papers.