Paper jammed in Pixma PRO-1

MikeBG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
I have had an unfortunate paper jam in my Pixma PRO-1. Probably caused by paper which was slightly damp. The paper failed to feed, and when I tried pulling it out from the rear of the printer it ripped. I cannot see any way of pulling out the paper left inside the printer either from the front or from the rear.

Is there any simple way to do this, or do I need to pretty much dismantle the printer as I did to install the Printer Potty (which, by the way, is doing its job wonderfully)?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ops, that’s a bit of a bummer, but when you get a paper jam and paper has gone ½ through, its always better if the paper won’t come out without forcing it, to cut the paper in several with a scissors and last resort, try retrieving the rest from the front.

That is always easier said than done but using brute force to pull paper out backwards can cause one of the paper sensors to be dislodged or damaged, rendering your printer practically useless, (Service Centre job), paper is only meant to go one way.

Your best chance now is to remove the top cover again Ouch, and if your luck you’ll be able to see and remove the rest of the offending paper, its most important to keep all the pieces retrieved, that way you can see if you have gotten all of the paper out.

Failing this you may have to remove the front paper tray as you did before to gain access to the inside of the platen area, use a screwdriver, tweezers and a lot of patients, I don’t envoy your task, these printers were never made for easy finger access...

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
For those kinds of situations I have latched on to a set of forceps with a long tip. Note the need for a long tip, not just a long handle. Long tips are narrow and allow a long reach. Forceps are handy, as opposed to long screwdrivers, because you can actually grasp paper (or a part) that's lodged in tight places. However, you need good luck to find one. Therefore, good luck.

MikeBG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Good news! I didn't take the printer cover off, but removed the bottom tray. I could then get at the jammed paper and gently get out all the remaining bits. I do agree with 'ksdata' that forceps with a long tip would have made it MUCH easier though. Printer now seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Keep an eye open on your next drugstore visit(s). You may also find a long pair of tweezers. And yes, I am pleased, thanks :)

Latest posts