[OT?] Forum exists 4 PS masking that's as good as this one 4 refills?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I want to get a lot more proficient at using Photoshop masking. I was hoping someone could recommend a forum that is more or less the technical equivalent of this excellent forum, except oriented to masking with Photoshop and/or plug-ins. It would be great to be learning from the posts of "Masking Masters" who are as experienced, expert, patient, and helpful as the "Inkjet Masters" at NS.

I'm familiar with DPR's forum for "Software and Retouching", but that is somewhat generic, and masking is an occasional topic. The plug-in vendors (like Vertus Fluid Mask) may have forums, but I'm hoping to avoid the expense of a plug-in. Also, having objective input from forum participants who aren't plug-in employess is useful.

I've read some books from Katrin Eismann, but they are getting kind of dated from CS2 days. Books from Scot Kelby treat masking at a fairly shallow level. Martin Evening's CS5 book is better, but still not all that much in depth.

I haven't had much success with Adobe forums. Doesn't seem that active and lots of posts get few or no replies.

Guess I'm spoiled by NS ;)

I want to get to the point of being pretty proficient with CS5 masking, and be able to evaluate trials of plug-ins if they really are that much better and worth the expense.

Or perhaps I should try out one or several plug-in trials, and go through their tutorials, training, and user manuals. Ask questions if they have user forums. Then see if most of what they provide can be accomplished in CS5 if you know what you doing.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
A "Ps masking forum" search on Google throws up 12.2 Million results ;)

I think all you need to do is to follow several tutorials and then develop your own technique. Same as refilling or any other skill, learn, practice, read more, practice, develop your own technique, practice...

Did I say practice :D

Any skill is perfected by regular practice, and you will only do that if you retain your interest in the subject. So select a few images that you enjoy and just get going.