Ops My Ender 2 didn’t want to print..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
After printing this two-sided sign on the Ender 2, https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/signs-of-the-times.12774/

Things started to go slightly crazy, every print there after was coming out terrible, like this washer I needed,
Capture.PNG

it was supposed to be solid, but I couldn’t get the in-fill to work no matter which Slicer setting I used.

Even after getting help and advise from @ninj and @Redbrickman the problem still eluded me, I tried several test prints and then I noticed the filament was been laid down intermittingly, instead of continuous.
Capture2.PNG

It turned out to be a faulty extruder motor and once I replaced that, things went back to normal again, crisis over.. Phew... :woot
It was an old motor that had been used in the CR-10 originally ..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, great tracking down that problem! I sometimes worry that all have a random problem that is not easy to track down.

It was an old motor that had been used in the CR-10 originally
I must have missed some information about this. Are you saying that it is an old style of motor or is actually an old motor?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I must have missed some information about this. Are you saying that it is an old style of motor or is actually an old motor?
You did ask...:confused:

The story goes back to my CR-10, when it’s mainboard developed an electrical problem that powered the extruder motor, and I had to get a new board to fix the issue.

I couldn’t wait that long to print again (6 Weeks) so I bought the Ender 2 to pacify myself, but after assembling the new purchase and testing it, I taught it had a similar issue with its mainboard too. (It didn’t) ***

To diagnose the problem further I used the extruder from the CR-10 as a test motor because none of the other X, Y and Z motors on the Ender 2 seem to work either in the extruder socket position. (Now I know why)

When the dust settled, and I got the CR-10 up and running again I used the new Ender 2 extruder motor on it, because the other test motor was still attached the Ender 2, and that’s how this old motor got onto and was been used by the Ender 2..

*** Explanation:- The extruder motor on the Ender 2 and possibly other 3D printers, are software controlled not to function till the hot-end nozzle reaches 185 c, it caught me out...:eek:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wow, SUPER interesting!

Are all the motors (XYZ and extruder) all the NEMA17 motors?