On my last ip4200....Will buy a Pro 100- Have refilling questions.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have refilled (German method) for many years. I bough several ip4200 Canons on closeout, but am on my last one. I'm thinking a Pro 100 would be the best choice (esp with the rebate through December). So, I have a few questions about the 100. I have scoured the forum, and watched Yuotube videos, so I know about the yellow cartridge issues. I have a stock-pile of CLi-8 used, empty cartridges. I have been using
Hobbicolors ink, but will probably switch to Precision Colors ink.

-I have many flushed Cli-8 cartridges that have sat around for years, so they are bone dry. Any issues with that?

-Is Canon good about honoring the rebates on the Pro 100?

-I know that I'll need a new resetter. Is Precision Color's redsetter the one?

-Should I switch from the German method and use the silicone plugs?

-Are GENUINE, new print heads easily available for the 100?

Any other tips/ advice?

Thanks!

Fred

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
-I have many flushed Cli-8 cartridges that have sat around for years, so they are bone dry. Any issues with that?
Yes. It may take a day or so for ink to saturate the sponge. You may consider using Pharmacist's cartridge flush/conditioning solution prior to refilling:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.

Conditioning: after flushing the sponge has difficulty to absorb the ink well and tends to be become a bit hydrofobic (water repellent). By completely immerge and drenching the sponge material with this solution and then blowing as much solution as possible the sponge is revived again. The pigment BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk is the most difficult one and using this conditioning solution improves the absorption degree of your favourite refill pigment ink.

Substitutions For Pharmacist's Solution

Propypelene glycol can be substituted with glycerol (100%) or glycerine (70% glycerol mixed with water). Isopropyl alcohol can be substituted with normal alcohol (ethanol).

Formula Substitutes:

Denatured Ethanol/Alcohol 96% (denatured with 3% ether) 20 parts
glycerol 2 parts or glycerine 3 parts (reason: glycerine is slightly diluted glycerol)
concentrated ammonia 1 part
distilled water up to 100 parts

-Is Canon good about honoring the rebates on the Pro 100?
I have received all my rebates for the Pro-100. Just make sure you are purchasing from an authorized Canon dealer for that rebate period. The link will be from the rebate web page such as the current https://www.acbpromotions.com/canon... PowerShot, Lenses or Paper AMEX Reward Card [11/1/2016%20-%2012/31/2016]

-I know that I'll need a new resetter. Is Precision Color's redsetter the one?
If Precision Colors sells it then it most likely is of good quality. I would purchase from them. It may be possible to find one for a few dollars less, however, Mikling, the owner of Precision Colors is an active forum member and has a history of responsiveness and responsibility to his customer's needs and issues.

-Should I switch from the German method and use the silicone plugs?
This is debatable, though Mikling is adamant about top filling and refilling when the yellow warning first appears to prevent drying out the sponge that may cause poor ink flow and poor refilling characteristics.

I have used the same set of CLI-8 cartridges for years without flushing. I also let a cartridge go to empty before refilling all the cartridges again. The CLI-8 may be substituted for the Pro-100's CLI-42 cartridges (must swap chips of course!).

-Are GENUINE, new print heads easily available for the 100?
Absolutely. The usual best price is from Canon themselves, though you may find some deals on eBay from people who buy the discounted Pro-100 and cannibalize it for sale. If you like this printer then get a couple more print heads early on as you may not see prices as low in the future. Of course, another round of heavily discounted Pro-100's may occur again and make it attractive to buy the whole printer again for nothing more than the ink and the print head. Who knows what might happen.

Any other tips/ advice?
Print something that uses all the cartridges every week or so to keep from clogging. A nozzle check will suffice. The more you print the happier a printer is.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
maybe you should put your name forwards to be a moderator... :gig
Aren't you the cheeky monkey, uncle. :D

$_1.JPG

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes. It may take a day or so for ink to saturate the sponge. You may consider using Pharmacist's cartridge flush/conditioning solution prior to refilling:

-3 % propylene glycol (or 2 % glycerin)
-20 % isopropyl alcohol
-distilled water up to 100 %

To make this conditioning solution a cleaning solution to dissolve stubborn stains: add 5 drops of concentrated ammonia per 100 ml of this solution. This solution has been tested by several forum members already and they are very happy with it. It also enhances the absorption degree of ink into the sponge after flushing, especially with the difficult pigment based BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk cartridge.

Conditioning: after flushing the sponge has difficulty to absorb the ink well and tends to be become a bit hydrofobic (water repellent). By completely immerge and drenching the sponge material with this solution and then blowing as much solution as possible the sponge is revived again. The pigment BCI-3eBK/PGI-5Bk is the most difficult one and using this conditioning solution improves the absorption degree of your favourite refill pigment ink.

Substitutions For Pharmacist's Solution

Propypelene glycol can be substituted with glycerol (100%) or glycerine (70% glycerol mixed with water). Isopropyl alcohol can be substituted with normal alcohol (ethanol).

Formula Substitutes:

Denatured Ethanol/Alcohol 96% (denatured with 3% ether) 20 parts
glycerol 2 parts or glycerine 3 parts (reason: glycerine is slightly diluted glycerol)
concentrated ammonia 1 part
distilled water up to 100 parts

I have received all my rebates for the Pro-100. Just make sure you are purchasing from an authorized Canon dealer for that rebate period. The link will be from the rebate web page such as the current https://www.acbpromotions.com/canonrebates/promos.asp?promo=0120&promotitle=PRO-1, 10 or 100 printers, DSLR, PowerShot, Lenses or Paper AMEX Reward Card [11/1/2016%20-%2012/31/2016]

If Precision Colors sells it then it most likely is of good quality. I would purchase from them. It may be possible to find one for a few dollars less, however, Mikling, the owner of Precision Colors is an active forum member and has a history of responsiveness and responsibility to his customer's needs and issues.

This is debatable, though Mikling is adamant about top filling and refilling when the yellow warning first appears to prevent drying out the sponge that may cause poor ink flow and poor refilling characteristics.

I have used the same set of CLI-8 cartridges for years without flushing. I also let a cartridge go to empty before refilling all the cartridges again. The CLI-8 may be substituted for the Pro-100's CLI-42 cartridges (must swap chips of course!).

Absolutely. The usual best price is from Canon themselves, though you may find some deals on eBay from people who buy the discounted Pro-100 and cannibalize it for sale. If you like this printer then get a couple more print heads early on as you may not see prices as low in the future. Of course, another round of heavily discounted Pro-100's may occur again and make it attractive to buy the whole printer again for nothing more than the ink and the print head. Who knows what might happen.

Print something that uses all the cartridges every week or so to keep from clogging. A nozzle check will suffice. The more you print the happier a printer is.
Thanks for taking time to write a great post and answer all of my questions!!