Old newbie!

Kev Seddon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100s
Hi Everyone. I`m an old boy living in the UK trying to learn about my new Canon 100s so treat me gently! Long time photographer and printer of photos from my collection of various digital cameras. Recently retired, decided to get serious about printing in a larger format.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Kev.

You have a great printer! It is easily refillable with excellent third party inks, such as from Octoink in the UK, that you will save a bundle. Of course if you are selling your prints then consider sticking with OEM Canon ink since no aftermarket ink resists fading like OEM. Start with the Canon OEM inks and papers to get to know your printer.

Certain quality photo paper manufactures make customized ICC Printer Profile files to work with their paper and Canon OEM inks and your printer. An ICC Printer Profile is a file with instructions for a specific printer make and model, a single specific ink set, and a single specific paper in order to optimize performance and gamut for that combination. Change just one of the components - printer, ink or paper - and you will need a customized ICC printer profile for that combination.

You can also make your own ICC Printer Profiles with aftermarket inks and whatever paper you like, but this will require additional profiling hardware, such as the ColorMunki or a true spectrophotometer, or finding someone to make a profile for you.

As our fearless Moderator @The Hat recommends, print using default settings initially, only selecting the proper paper type/size, until you get a feel for the printer. There will be time to learn how to tweak things after you know its baseline performance, which is pretty darned good.

There are a number of people on the forum with excellent experience with the Pro 100s. You are in good company.