Old HP 6P BAD resolution?

chas045

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Haven't been on P.K. for years and then re: Canon inkjets.
I have an old B&W HP laserjet 6P that has been unused for perhaps a year (or more) because I apparently ended up with a couple badly remanufactured toner carts. They smeared; but the actual print resolution was good. It has just been sitting on my desk. My Canon inkjet works fine in its place, but I saw that I could get a 'new' sealed HP cart cheaply and hoped I could get the 6P running again.
The 6P had been running on an old Windows xp computer using a USB card (no parallel port). I recently acquired a newer win7 machine but I apparently never even hooked up the usb cable until now. At first, I only saw the ieee card but after some time, the HP 6P printer showed up. It prints with either the 'new' sealed HP cart or the old one that for some reason isn't smearing anymore. However, the print resolution is horrible. Some letters are hard to distinguish from others; some character edges are too fine and others too fat. The 6P test page by pushing the actual printer button showing the printer in the center with the various things it can do surrounding it are overly bold or dark. The 6P is a 600dpi printer but I would think this is a 100dpi or less output.
Any ideas how to make this printer work normally? I just read about the little brush that cleans the mirror; had never used it, but think I just used it properly without improvement.