Occasionally avatars blacked out and smileys missing

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
After the latest forum software upgrade I have observed that occasionally avatars are blacked out, on other occasions smileys are missing. When the errors occur, not all avatars or smileys are affected. My OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit and my browser is Firefox v 36.0.1. Here is a screen shot showing a blacked out avatar:

F5 has no effect, but Crtl+F5 corrects the error.

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
thanks for the report and all the great details. have you tried a full clear of your browser cache?

is anybody else seeing this problem?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I use the same OS and version of Firefox and have not seen the glitches. :idunno

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If nobody else has experienced this then something must be wrong with my OS/browser/settings. I regularly run Ccleaner which should clear the browser cache. I have now cleared the cache per this instruction. If the problem re-appears, I will report this.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Now image loading has also started causing problems. Here is a half size version of an image from this post. F5 caused the image to load properly.

Image loading error1.jpg

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I have not seen any issues like you describe, the image above also loaded no issues, no refreshing etc needed.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have now also occasionally observed the problems with image loading on other websites, so I think the problem is not related to the forum software.

Instead a high CPU load/RAM usage seems to trigger the error. I think AVG Internet Security is the program causing the problem when auto-updating or starting a scheduled scan.

I miss the rev counter style CPU/RAM meter desktop gadget from Windows Vista and 7. A quick glance would then have told me that a high CPU load was causing the problems, and a refresh when the load had dropped somewhat would solve the problem.