Nozzel check

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
When I ran a nozzel check today the black ink band was blank. Cartridge is about 3/4 full. I ran a few cleanings and one deep cleaning - no luck. This is a Precision Colors cart. which I've been filling myself. Am I in for a cart. flush or a print head flush?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@russell, That will all depend on when you first discovered the black was missing, like before or after a print run... ?

As you have given so little information to go, I’d suggest you post up your last nozzle check for scrutiny so we can made better suggestions for you to go on, but we strongly recommend that you don’t print anything other than nozzle checks till your problem is resolved.

Question: are your carts OEM or Compatible, how many times refilled...?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The easiest way to tell your next step is to try a new or known 100% working cartridge, a new cartridge being preferable.
  • If the nozzle check shows returned good function then the original cartridge is not functioning properly and a flush may resolve the issue.
  • If the nozzle check still shows a problem then it could be either a clogged print head or an irreparable electrical malfunction in the print head (usually), logic assay board (rarely) or both (even more rare).

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
@russell, That will all depend on when you first discovered the black was missing, like before or after a print run... ?

As you have given so little information to go, I’d suggest you post up your last nozzle check for scrutiny so we can made better suggestions for you to go on, but we strongly recommend that you don’t print anything other than nozzle checks till your problem is resolved.

Question: are your carts OEM or Compatible, how many times refilled...?
Thanks. My printer is Canon ip8720 w/6 cartridges; C,M,Y,G,B,TEXT B. Printer is about 2 yrs old. Changed the print head (OEM) last year. All carts are compatible - colors and G are from LD in Cal. not refillable but replaced when dry. The 2 black carts are Precision Colors; 0ne is regular size and the other is xtra large (TEXT B) intended to dispense pigment ink but I fill it with photo dye black. No problem with it. The other with photo black also. This is the one that isn't printing a bar on the nozzel check sheet. I've been using this set-up for at least 7 months printing only B&W on Canon matte paper. I only print B&W. Happy with the results. Nice deep blacks, no smudging or drying issues. Made over 150 13x19 and 11x14 prints during this 7 months. Finished this project about a month ago and haven't been printing very much but a couple times a week make a small print or nozzel check or some text. Earlier this week I made a 13x19 print and several small test sheets. I noticed some slight banding in the medium gray sky on the small and large print. I did a couple nozzel checks and cleaning but banding persisted and did not show the band from the regular black ink cart. I'd also been checking the ink levels, which I always do, and that particular cart. showed it as 2/3 full. For some reason I pulled the cart and the reservoir was empty but the sponge seemed saturated. So I refilled that cart. The ink level still showed it as 2/3 full and the nozzel check still showed as blank. Today I nozzel checked 3 times. The 2nd one DID show the band from the black cart although there were very,very fine white lines running the whole length of the band. The 1st & 3d NC showed no band. All of the other colors are good on the NC sheet. I've ordered a black cart from LD to test if the problem is the PC cart or the print head. I don;t have an extra PC black cart. Should have by Tues/Wed. Thanks the Hat.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Today I nozzel checked 3 times. The 2nd one DID show the band from the black cart although there were very,very fine white lines running the whole length of the band. The 1st & 3d NC showed no band.
To expand further on my last post given this new information...

If you did get some Black on the nozzle check, after having none, and even if it then disappeared, points to poor ink flow from the cartridge. This is also supported by the fact that it then disappeared. Could an electronic failure of some sort cause this... maybe, but the odds are in favor of a poorly functioning cartridge given the information you have provided. A flush of the cartridge or a new cartridge should return the flow of ink, barring any confounding issues.

The question of partial irreparable failure of nozzles may still be true and will be known after you follow the recommendations from my first post. You must have a known working cartridge first before a final judgement can be made AND you should post your nozzle check(s) as The Hat has been requesting for us to examine. Of course if complete return of function occurs with your new or flushed cartridge then the nozzle check is moot. But you should try to post what you have now since we are trying to help you and, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Nicolas Goosen

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor S30610
I have the same problem with an Epson Surecolor S30610. The head has two black channels and only one channel disappeared suddenly. It intermittently prints a few lines every now and then. I'd like to explore whether it's some sort of bubble in the ink line, but I'm nervous to dismantle things without some sort of video guide.
The second channel of black still prints fine and I just re-linearised to compensate (basically doubling the second channel's output) and the prints look good! I'd rather get it fixed however.

russell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA ip8720
I have replaced the PC photo black cartridge with a new one from LD and several nozzel checks have confirmed that the PC cart was the culprit. All colors and blacks and grays are solid bars. I intend to flush the PC cart and at some point reinsert to check it. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the PC cart was the culprit
YW. Glad you found the cause and resolved the issue. Trying a different cartridge, or flushing and refilling the problem color cartridge, is often the recommendation because it is often the cause. :thumbsup