No luck with Rjettek

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have refilled Canon BCI carts for years with great success. Now I have a Canon Pro9000 MK II with CLi8 carts and the world seems to have changed.

I had great success with the BCI carts and Media Street inks and blank carts. Ink2Image has taken over from them and since they have blank carts, I got a refill kit from them. It worked fine at first, but started giving bad results -- bad nozzle checks, good nozzle checks after cleaning cycles, but bad prints always.

After manually cleaning the print head, OEM ink gives the same excellent results as always -- I'll tell you how if you are interested.

I started looking for a replacement for the Ink2Image system and after hearing good reports about OCP ink, I gave their US seller a call. I asked for information about how their refill kits worked. I was informed that the information was available only after I purchased the kit. I have never heard of anything like that and will never buy anything from them.

This is a warning: Be careful!

Wil

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are no reliable third party aftermarket cartridges which replace Canon OEM CLI-8/PGI-5 and newer cartridges for refillers. None are better made or last as long with fewer malfunctions than the original. The recommendation has been and continues to be to only use OEM Canon cartridges if you are refilling.

Can you link to the "refill kit" you were interested in?

Also, I'm interested in reading your method of cleaning print heads.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
This is the rjettek page for your Canon CLI8 refill kit, it shows all the 'stuff' you need for refilling except the OCP ink and carts.
http://www.rjettek.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/485

To determine which inks you need for the pro 9000 read this compatibility list:
http://www.ocp.de/content.php?sessi...eite=seiten/support_compatibilitylists_en.php

Rjettek does not sell 'CLI8' carts or resettable chips for the CLI8, but do sell a resetter for the CLI8, PGI5 &220/221. They do sell 221 chips but are not resettable?

OCP ink has been flowing thru my i9900 and pro 9000 for the past 5 yrs, previously I used the MS inks.

Rjettek is an industrial sized business, their 'kits' are not our kits--their Easyfill entry level kit is for a small business operation not us hobbyists. Nevertheless I am concerned over the treatment you received.

I suggest, after a cooldown, contact Linda Hunt (sales person) and discuss the inks you need (see compatibility list) and the CLI8 refill kit. I also suggest you purge your well used carts, a good washing should return your normal ink flow.

The cost for your ink (the same that I am using) is ~$12/pint; 16ox, 500 ml. This is 1/2 to 1/4 the price for a 4oz from several vendors of equal quality. Dont let your anger cost you great prints or great savings.

irv weiner

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I found that web link on my own , but that web page shows supplies for a six color printer. The Pro9000 MK II requires eight colors. Seems they don't know much about the Pro9000 MK II. What's worse, they don't want to give out any information -- that's unacceptable.

For those that want to manually clean a Canon Print Head:

1. If after all you've done, nothing works, a new print head for an i9900 of Pro9000 is much less than $100.00 from the official Canon factory service -- much less than anything you can find on eBay.

2. The Canon print head is a very rugged piece of gear. It does not need to be treated with undo special care.

3. The first thing to do to unclog the head is to wash it with warm running tap water. Don't worry about getting the whole thing wet as nothing bad will result. You'll really be amazed at what follows in later steps.

4. Go to your pharmacy and get a little syringe without a needle. Trim the discharge section of the syringe so it fits over one ink pad.

5. Under running water, force water through the pads with the syringe. Remember, wet doesn't matter. Just flush all pads with warm water until it all runs clear from the print head.

6. Once all is clear, make a solution of 1 part clorex to 8 parts water. Make enough to completely cover all the pads and print head in a suitable container. Scares you, doesn't it?

7. Using the syringe, flush each pad with this solution. It should come clean the first time. If it doesn't, you didn't do a good job in step 5.

8. Let the print head soak overnight in this solution.

9. Next day, using the syringe, flush all pads again with clear water.

10. Shake well to remove as much water as possible and then dry with a hair dryer, or such.

11. You'll not get all the water out, so you'll need to use some ink to get it all removed and not dilute the ink. Put a little ink in the cart and make a series of test prints on bond paper (six or so). I use a test print from Adobe that exercises all colors and shows how they have printed. When they look right, you're finished.

12. Fill your carts and make another test print -- you'll be amazed!

13. I got the test print from Adobe and it is titled, "colorfile.tip." It is 4200KB. I have not been able to find that file again. If you want it, and your email will accept that size, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Good Luck!
Wil

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
irvweiner said:
I suggest, after a cooldown, contact Linda Hunt (sales person) and discuss the inks you need (see compatibility list) and the CLI8 refill kit.
I agree, call Linda, tell her you are thinking about switching to OCP and tell her which printer you have. See what she suggests.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
George, the compatibility list I referenced includes the major players: HP,Canon,Epson,Lexmark,Brother,Zerox and Dell. When I bought my Pro 9000 this April I asumed I could use the same inks used in my i9900, afterall, 16 oz of each color will last a non-pro hobbyist like me for a lifetime or two. Reached Linda, she was not certain and would contact OCP corp. and advise me. Within a day or so I received my answer, the inks for the Pro 9000 were reformulated for the newer printhead. That is very nice, OCP tweaked the inks to give us better performance. I informed Linda that I create my own printer-paper profiles, would I not get decent results with my not-so-empty bottles of i9000 ink? She asserted the company policy of using the properly recommended product with the proper printer--I respect that. It gives OCP legal protection, I next contacted tech support in Germany and raised the question. Their simple answer hit the nail on the head--Why bother?? Our ink is quite inexpensive and you will be benifitting from increased gamut and longetivity. How true, I didnt bother even after being casually informed that new printer would not fall apart if I used the 'older' ink and my Colormunki would not be embarrassed when profiling. I believe several members of this community did run the 'older' ink with profiling and were satisfied-at that time.

I dont know who Wil spoke with a Rjettek or if his angry mode was on but I can only say that my interactions with OCP were professional and rewarding. Hmm, maybe I should re-visit OCP and further research my comments about freezing & microwaving surplus dye inks!!!

Happy Hoidays to all irv weiner

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
irvweiner said:
I dont know who Wil spoke with a Rjettek ... but I can only say that my interactions with OCP were professional and rewarding.
My experience has also been uniformly positive with Rjettek. They are located in Colorado Springs, which is where I live, so I have been to their business location several times.

I would speculate that they recommendeded 6 colors for the 9000-2 because they much less often deal with hobbyists/individuals such as ourselves, and few if any individuals order the less used and longer-before-it-runs-out Red and Green. I'd further speculate they'd be more likely to have a 128 oz (gallon) containier of Red or Green than their smallest quantity ... 16 oz.

When I recently ran out of CLI-8R and low on CLI-8G, I checked with one of their customers, a local Rapid Refill franchise from which I originally got refills from. The manager/owner didn't have any CLI-R Red or CLI-G Green refills in stock, and didn't recall ever having sold Red or Green refills.

juliusskinner

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
none
George, the compatibility list I referenced includes the major players: HP,Canon,Epson,Lexmark,Brother,Zerox and Dell. When I bought my Pro 9000 this April I asumed I could use the same inks used in my i9900, afterall, 16 oz of each color will last a non-pro hobbyist like me for a lifetime or two. Reached Linda, she was not certain and would contact OCP corp. and advise me. Within a day or so I received my answer, the inks for the Pro 9000 were reformulated for the newer printhead. That is very nice, OCP tweaked the inks to give us better performance. I informed Linda that I create my own printer-paper profiles, would I not get decent results with my not-so-empty bottles of i9000 ink? She asserted the company policy of using the properly recommended product with the proper printer--I respect that. It gives OCP legal protection, I next contacted tech support in Germany and raised the question. Their simple answer hit the nail on the head--Why bother?? Our ink is quite inexpensive and you will be benifitting from increased gamut and longetivity. How true, I didnt bother even after being casually informed that new printer would not fall apart if I used the 'older' ink and my Colormunki would not be embarrassed when profiling. I believe several members of this community did run the 'older' ink with profiling and were satisfied-at that time.

I dont know who Wil spoke with a Rjettek or if his angry mode was on but I can only say that my interactions with OCP were professional and rewarding. Hmm, maybe I should re-visit OCP and further research my comments about freezing & microwaving surplus dye inks!!!

Happy Hoidays to all irv weiner
I recently purchased dell laptop. it was not connecting to my wirless printer. i thought it theire is problem in printer but my printer was connecting to other device. but not with my new dell laptop. i called customer service center they told their may be problem withmy laptop. as my laptop was in warrenty preiod and as per Dell return policy, if dell's any product is under warrenty preiod can be repaired anytime with no charges.
i have sent to service they told they will take 7 working day to get it repaired......:confused: