Newbie with clicking Pixma MP620

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guy's.
After trawling around the net I have, hopefully, at last found the right destination!

I have a Canon Pixma MP620 printer which is working fine and has done so ever since I bought it. I use inks from Rite Inks and never had a problem with them.

Now, not sure how best to describe this but after printing, colour or B/W there is a sound of whiring from the printer, there are usually two runs of whiring which I assume is head cleaning or similar. The whiring lasts for a few seconds then I hear what sounds like plastic clicking as if the mesh of plastic gear teeth are slipping giving the clicking sound I hear.

I have tried to find an exploded diagram of the printer to see I could track down the possible cause, I am quite happy to take it apart and have a look but would prefer to get more information before I attempt it. It's working and may not after I play with it :-(

Any suggestions as to what may have gone wrong and is it a DIY fix?

I found a link here for the manual but the link no longer works.

Regards
Alan.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ajw1100 said:
Hi Guy's.
After trawling around the net I have, hopefully, at last found the right destination!....................................
Regards
Alan.
my pixma mg 5250 makes a similar noise, i think its cleaning the rollers. go to the menu on the lcd display and run the clean rollers cycle from the set up menu, if you hear the same clicking then you'll know.

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I am nearly sure its gear meshing (or not!) when head cleaning as the noise is coming from the right hand side and is very noticeable when selecting 'Cleaning' from the maintenance option. I have found a repair manual for the MP640 which is very similar.

Before I attempt to take it apart can anyone let me know if I find the gears or what ever is causing the problem can you actually buy spares and if so from where?
It would be rather a waste of time if after taking it apart I could not buy the parts to repair it.

Regards
Alan.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The whirring noise is normal, you also get some clicking sometimes. Do a nozzle check is it OK Is your text clear and not scrambled or out of line, if nozzle check is OK and print out OK your printer is probably not bust. Also check the timing strip running along the back VERY carefully for any dirt of ink it has small lines which are timing marks on it.

I have had a bumping noise with my 620 and in the end it was dirt on the timing strip which was the culprit and casusing the noise and the scrambled text output.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ajw1100 said:
I am nearly sure its gear meshing (or not!) when head cleaning as the noise is coming from the right hand side and is very noticeable when selecting 'Cleaning' from the maintenance option. I have found a repair manual for the MP640 which is very similar.

Before I attempt to take it apart can anyone let me know if I find the gears or what ever is causing the problem can you actually buy spares and if so from where?
It would be rather a waste of time if after taking it apart I could not buy the parts to repair it.

Regards
Alan.
As barfl2 suggests try cleaning the timing strip first before any disassembly takes place..
See his latest post..

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=62110#p62110

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm keeping you guy's busy today :/

It's not a bumping noise or the whirring that is the problem, the printer works perfectly, no smudges or smears or wonky lines. I have set the carriage in center and pulled the plug, when the carriage is moved by hand it is smooth and quiet. I reconnected and switched it back on while keeping the lid up to see the carriage, sight access was limited due the low angle of the scanner part but I could just make out movement by the ink pads and that is where the slipping gear teeth noises came from.

Never delved into one of these beasts before so excuse my ignorance but is this the grey tinted strip with L on the left side and ends on the right with a solid black dot? If so then this is clean with no marks on it.

Regards

Alan.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Try flooding the purge pad area with some window cleaner close lid and see if that reproduces your gear noise which would be linked to the purge system. Then check the fluid has drained away. The Manual of the 640 is pretty much the same as the 620 as far as assembly is concerned. Taskron sell Canon printheads and are official Canon stockists but not sure about gears etc

If it was anything serious I would have thought you would have got an error number like I did

ajw1100

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Looks rather inky down there so flooding the area with window cleaner would leave a real inky mess, I have downloaded the 640 manual and it does seem to be very similar to the 620, later this week I will have a go with the manual on screen and the printer on the bench, if I screw it up I've not really lost much as I have a new MG5350 printer installed now and the 620 was to become a spare or given to the Mrs for her laptop. I used to build model aircraft/cars/helicopters from scratch or kit and have also built a road going sports car so am used to taking things apart, I have never tried with one of these though!

Regards
Alan.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
ajw1100 said:
Looks rather inky down there so flooding the area with window cleaner would leave a real inky mess, I have downloaded the 640 manual and it does seem to be very similar to the 620, later this week I will have a go with the manual on screen and the printer on the bench, if I screw it up I've not really lost much as I have a new MG5350 printer installed now and the 620 was to become a spare or given to the Mrs for her laptop. I used to build model aircraft/cars/helicopters from scratch or kit and have also built a road going sports car so am used to taking things apart, I have never tried with one of these though!

Regards
Alan.
Fair enough, if that area is messy it may mean that there is a problem with the purge area. Taking the R/H side off should give you a view of that area and some gears, best of luck