Newbie refill questions

adgrey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If this is not the place to ask these questions I apologize ahead of time and maybe someone could point me to an FAQ or somewhere else ,but:

I have an HP 930C (45 and 78 carts) and am getting tired of paying so much for carts. Is refilling feasible? Does it work? Does it produce output that looks as good as what you get with OEM carts? How do you do it? Whose ink should I buy? (plus any other advice anyone would care to give me)

Regards,
Andy

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Andy - I had answered your post on the printer newsgroup and gave you this link. I have never refilled HP carts, but I looked on the Alotofthings web site for your cartridges and found two items of interest. There is a kit that includes syringes, a cartidge clip, refill instructions, and a tool specific to your cart. In addition, they describe a techniique for fooling the printer into thinking that you are inserting a new cart instead of an old refilled one. They sell Sensient Formulabs inks which several people have found to be very good in their Canon printers. HP inks would be formulated specifically for your printer and are different from the Canon inks. You should search this forum for any references to HP cart refills as there have been some posts on this subject already as well as ways to restore a clogged print head. In addition, anyone who has information will certainly answer your questions. Look back on the printer NG as there were two items you should revisit. One was from a person who drilled holes in the top of a cart and then sealed them after refilling instead of removing the top of the cart. The other was about using centrifugal force by putting the cart in a plastic bag, print head down, and swinging it around to force the ink down into the cart if it didn't print initially after refilling. ( I think this was about the black cart. ) All of this is from posts I've read and not from my own experience, so rely on answers from people who have refilled these carts. I've just responded to kind of get you started in searching for some of the information you will need.

I just went back and looked for HP information for you. There are two threads listed under refilling inkjets that have HP in the title and have info about refilling both of your carts.

Burt