New to Refill Business

F Sharif

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp 3510
Hi,

I am new here, I came to this website by chance while searching for ink refill knowledge, very much interested in this website ... truly very useful.
I still do not have enough information about this business to start it .. let me say I am learning here and taking notes and reclassify it

Information provided and discussed by the experienced members improve my poor knowledge and enhance my willing to proceed for the opening an ink refill business.

Many thanks to the website management and to all of you with regards

Faisal Sharif

Last edited:

Eric Mason

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX445SW
Suggest that you buy say refillable ink tanks with auto reset for your printer, and then buy bulk inks such as for Epson CISS printers.
Those CISS inks are Dye based, so should not clog up. Bought carts for Epson have a resin in the water to unclog any printer heads, but those carts are normally Pigment Based inks
Cheers. If difficulties using CISS inks, do not forget to retain some printer original inks to recover working.

F Sharif

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp 3510
Good Day

I am about to start a small ink refilling business
I understand that printers have different types of cartridges, I find many suppliers who sold refilled cartridges, but not new empty cartridges .. specifically for for hp

For hp deskjet; They sold ink in bulk, but not the carts ... they sell carts in sets; set of syringes + Ink + Cartridges 3 or 4 .. but could not find in bulk.

Can you please advice ... where to buy new empty hp deskjet cartridges for refilling purposes

The other thing.... hP deskjet ink cartridges apparently looks all the same (mostly) in size and shape, all have the same shape and sizes but have different numbering ... I am sure there is some differences inside, >> can anybody advice me what is the difference

Thanks

Eric Mason

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SX445SW
Hi there,
The idea is that you need to input the query in Google or Ebay by typing - Refillable ink tanks for HP (also include your model).
A number of sellers will appear ,and they will sell say sets of 4 or 6 units (all different Colours), bear in mind that each Model number requires probably a different set of inks, either Dye based or Pigment based.
Make sure that the ink tanks all are fitted with re-settable chips. If not so, then you need individual chip re-setter for that model involved.
If they supply , but not fit chips, you need to know the colour of chip for the ink to be used.
If say yellow chip, and filled with say Cyan colour, then printer will reject it.
You mention re different numbers, the best way to determine which number to use is to www. hp and look at their sales of printers, but do not confuse between models.
Also suggest you ask HP silly question re what type ink is used, as cart must have in it correct ink type.
Any confusion, then come back to me.
eric

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You state that you want to start a refill business - as a store selling inks and cartridges who come by, or per internet, or both ? Do you have any technical background about printers and the refill process which might be very different for diferent models ? And do you have any background about opening a business , taxes, contracts , environmental issues, customer service , handling and shipping, advertising and a lot more ? You need a supplier for bulk ink, or 3rd party cartridges with ink- e.g. from China - Aliexpress and others and you need suppliers for empty cartridges for refill if that's the business you are planning for. Or you may start with a smaller set of items just for those printers which are the most popular in your country. There are bulk ink suppliers on the market which 'sell' you a complete package to run such business, but then you are 100 % tied to them via contract, e.g. as a franchising business. HP cartridges are a special case, there are cartridge types which cannot be manufactured new elsewhere so empty original cartridges are cleaned and reused/refilled by 3rd parties, and offered as such on the market.

Or do you just want to refill your printer ?

F Sharif

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp 3510
Suggest that you buy say refillable ink tanks with auto reset for your printer, and then buy bulk inks such as for Epson CISS printers.
Those CISS inks are Dye based, so should not clog up. Bought carts for Epson have a resin in the water to unclog any printer heads, but those carts are normally Pigment Based inks
Cheers. If difficulties using CISS inks, do not forget to retain some printer original inks to recover working.
Thank you Eric, appreciate your Comment

F Sharif

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp 3510
Hi there,
The idea is that you need to input the query in Google or Ebay by typing - Refillable ink tanks for HP (also include your model).
A number of sellers will appear ,and they will sell say sets of 4 or 6 units (all different Colours), bear in mind that each Model number requires probably a different set of inks, either Dye based or Pigment based.
Make sure that the ink tanks all are fitted with re-settable chips. If not so, then you need individual chip re-setter for that model involved.
If they supply , but not fit chips, you need to know the colour of chip for the ink to be used.
If say yellow chip, and filled with say Cyan colour, then printer will reject it.
You mention re different numbers, the best way to determine which number to use is to www. hp and look at their sales of printers, but do not confuse between models.
Also suggest you ask HP silly question re what type ink is used, as cart must have in it correct ink type.
Any confusion, then come back to me.
eric
Thank you Eric,
Yes during my search i found suppliers who provide refill kit set for refilling selected based on ink no
which will ease my start up,
I am not sure i understand about the chip used in Hp, my printer which is deskjet 3510 have 2 carts .. with print heads built in the cart ..both have printed electronic circuit, and that also applied to all hp printers i use to have during the last 15 years
May be you are refereeing to other hp printers which have print carts with chips .. can you please refer me to one with chip which I can look in the internet to understand the different form mine
regards

F Sharif

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp 3510
You state that you want to start a refill business - as a store selling inks and cartridges who come by, or per internet, or both ? Do you have any technical background about printers and the refill process which might be very different for diferent models ? And do you have any background about opening a business , taxes, contracts , environmental issues, customer service , handling and shipping, advertising and a lot more ? You need a supplier for bulk ink, or 3rd party cartridges with ink- e.g. from China - Aliexpress and others and you need suppliers for empty cartridges for refill if that's the business you are planning for. Or you may start with a smaller set of items just for those printers which are the most popular in your country. There are bulk ink suppliers on the market which 'sell' you a complete package to run such business, but then you are 100 % tied to them via contract, e.g. as a franchising business. HP cartridges are a special case, there are cartridge types which cannot be manufactured new elsewhere so empty original cartridges are cleaned and reused/refilled by 3rd parties, and offered as such on the market.

Or do you just want to refill your printer ?
Many thanks for replying to my query,
Yes I want to start this business ... first it will be online and distribution to nearby convenience stores if they accept .. the next step will be opening a store
I don't have technical background about printers .. but I do know that ink are either Dye or pigment ink
the printer heads are either piezoelectric as in hp and Canon or thermal jet which is the case of Epson .. this is came from reading articles
As I had said I keep reading and learning .. I make search on google and read articles about maintenance
I also watch videos on You Tube
I also learn that there are machines for filling ink and other for test printing which I am going to use to make it a successful business

Yes I have a good background about opening a business, Tax sys, marketing plans and advertisement, handling and shipping
The main issue is the technical part ... for the starting I will only offer refill ink carts for those which are common in the market .. for example those exhibited in walmart, Staples .. etc
the problem is with hp deskjet carts ... ebay sell used carts that need to be cleaned and refilled and refilled carts as well ,,
refilled carts will not be cost effective if i resell it .. so i have to find carts that are new and empty.
Alibaba and Ali express only sell certain carts no's but not the full range of hp inkjet cart (for deskjet) type printers .. and I am wondering why I can not find new empty carts for HP deskjet printers (the full range) .. I could not find them on the internet even ... only the refilled carts are available
why hp .. cause I think (in my perception) is the most famous and used)
Appreciate very much your directions
Regards

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@F Sharif, frankly I reckon you’re pissing up a rope, you don’t have any technical knowledge of the inkjet printer world and the vast cartridge differences out there to start up a business that’s all ready flood with thousands of established resellers.

The inkjet market is a cut through business not to mention the cheap and nasty practices that go on and because you don’t have the experience then you’ll be eaten alive, just quit before you commit and save your money for something better.
My two cent on the idea and no offence intended..:hide

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
there is one other aspect I forgot to mention - the legality of the products you are buying and selling, they should be free of patent infringements, without copyright and trademark problems otherwise the Epsons , HP etc can stop your business pretty quickly, customs can seize shipments which you ordered etc, and that's exactly the reason that there are no new and empty HP cartridges of particular types, so used ones emptied by users are regained, cleaned and filled again. That's all the more technical details of some of the products, the principal decision to start such business is up to you , but I would caution you as well to go that route without prior knowledge in this business, working with or in an existing company, e.g. working just as a reseller for an existing company for a while or any other way to reduce the start up financial risk.