New Required User Field - Printer Manufacturer / Model

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm VERY excited about the great new features and tools we have at our disposal on this new forum software! Here is one thing I just setup that took me only about a half hour here (would have taken hours of custom code on the old platform):

New required field: Printer Manufacturer / Model.

When new users sign up they must enter this info. We STRONGLY suggest all current members also add this info in their profile following these steps:
  1. Go into your profile: http://www.printerknowledge.com/account/
  2. Go into your "personal details" http://www.printerknowledge.com/account/personal-details
  3. Look for the "Printer Manufacturer / Model." field and enter your printer info
  4. From then on, your printer model will show under your avatar!
upload_2013-10-19_17-8-47.png

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Field length limit?

Wayne

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I think I set it to 30 or so. Since it shows in the "postbit" (the area under the avatar) we don't want it too long or else it may fill up that area. As it is, I'm wondering if 30 is even too long since we may not want to allow 2 lines of text.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Character limit is set to 30 and it displays on two rows. I managed to get 3 printer models in there, but without the make. I think it should allow more than 30, maybe 60 (4 rows).
Can you make the "Location" field also required and maybe an automatic e-mail sent to current users that missed that field?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Had a good laugh when I filled mine out...

For the non-hoarding user it'll be fine.. For the Hats and toolmen amongst us you'd need a whole forum thread :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just filled out mine. Nice.

Even deleted my status message.

This software is sweet!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just filled out mine. Nice.

Even deleted my status message.

This software is sweet!
Does your pencil use pigment ink, sure it only does greyscale,
what so good about that, what about duplex. ? o_O

Can you even get a firmware upgrade for it..? :confused:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congrats, my observant old friend! You found the Easter egg. :clap

My pencil is refillable, chipless, allows for any manufacturer refills without threat of lawsuit or stoppage, gives clear and understandable warning of being low/empty without risk of damage, never clogs even if not used for months or years, can be returned to "as new" with accessory battery-free sharpener, is extremely portable - my shirt pocket, anyone can use it perfectly the first time without instructions, extremely low cost, and even comes with a delete feature called an eraser on one end.

:D

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Glad you guys like it! There's SO much we can do here and it's going to be a lot easier to do too. Now multiply that by 1,000 and you'll understand all the stuff I have at my command on the back-end <insert evil mad genious laugh> :D

Ok, regarding printer model line:
We definitely don't want it to span more than 1 line. I can maybe add 5 - 10 more characters, but I need to be careful.

I think the space will work fine for 86.165 % of our users, but the rest of us freaks that have 4+ printers (you know who you are) can use our signature lines or even better, create a thread with info. (which reminds me, I need to create a "member introductions" section so we can each start a thread about us, our printers, our experiences, etc.)

I think we'll send out a newsletter and suggest peeps login and add their printer info.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Congrats, my observant old friend! You found the Easter egg. :clap

My pencil is refillable, chipless, allows for any manufacturer refills without threat of lawsuit or stoppage, gives clear and understandable warning of being low/empty without risk of damage, never clogs even if not used for months or years, can be returned to "as new" with accessory battery-free sharpener, is extremely portable - my shirt pocket, anyone can use it perfectly the first time without instructions, extremely low cost, and even comes with a delete feature called an eraser on one end.

:D

:yuckyuck :gig :lol:
One question for you stratman, Can I get one too.:)