New Costco 4*6

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My local Costco just began stocking Kirkland Glossy Pro in 4*6 size. Nice! Think it was 2 packages of 150 each.

Thing is though, I'm so used to cutting my own custom wide format sizes, I don't know if I'll go back to boring old 4*6 again.

BTW, Can anyone recommend a good and cheap semi-gloss/pearl?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Inky,

I use Ilford Classic Pearl (swellable) for any prints that will be framed because of its lower gas fading rate. The downside of a swellable paper is that you must specify a slower printing speed to allow more time for the ink to be absorbed between passes. Ilford Smooth Pearl is nanoporous (fast drying) and has a similar look. I pay $25 for (25) 13x19 sheets of either paper. 25 Sheets will give 50 8.5x11 sheets, and the large paper size should give a better yield than 8.5x11 sheets on your unusual formats. I also understand that Walmart sells 8.5x11 sheets of Ilford Pearl (I can't remember which one) at even lower prices.

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. does theCalssis Pearl profile pretty close to Kirkland?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
There are profiles for several inks on both Kirkland and ICP on this forum (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=8). Make two copies of a test image, convert one to a Krikland profile and the other to an ICP profile (for the same ink set). Then assign your working profile (aRGB/sRGB/etc.) to both images, and compare how they look on your monitor. This will give you an idea of the relative differences between the two profiles. If the colors on the two images are close, the profiles are close, and one profile can be used for both papers. If the colors are different, each paper needs a separate profile.

Having just tried this, the Formulabs profiles for these two papers are close, but probably not close enough if you have a critical eye for color.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I notice that the 4x6 Kirkland paper is slightly thicker and heavier and is made in the US wherease the 8.5x11 is made in Switzerland. Has anyone used both and made a comparison - paper quality and color rendition? The price is right - slightly lower cost than cutting three 4x6 sheeets from an 8.5x11 without the hassle. I print lots of 4x6's for my wife's albums and for snapshots for family members inaddition to 8x10 and 8.5x11's for framing. If the 4x6 paper is the same or equivalent it will be a real time saver for me.

zstringer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anyone have a recommendation on the drying time for the Costco/Kirkland 4x6 paper? Seems to dry pretty quickly, but I was wondering how long to let it dry before I can put it into a photo album (plastic sleeves)?

Thanks,
Peter

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is 24 hours minimum. Dry-to-touch isn't actually dry! You need to let the moisture evaporate before covering in an album or frame.