New Canon Pixma TS series

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I noticed on druckerchannel.de that Canon introduces a new series of the Pixma TS printers. A translation is here.

I noticed that a new series of ink cartridges is introduced, PGI-580/CLI-581. The top models of this printer series no longer use grey ink, instead a new colour photo blue is introduced.

The cartridges now come in three sizes: standard, XL and XXL. The cartridges look like the previous cartridges of the x50 and x70 series, so my guess is that the new XXL cartridge is same size as the old XL cartridges and the standard cartridge contains even less ink than the old standard cartridge.

I wonder when ARC chips and a resetter will become available, maybe after a year?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The new TS5150, which is priced at around 105 Euros, is unimpressive.
Ouch!

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
The TS series was introduced in Jan17. The TS9020 (6 color) was listed at $200. I got mine last week at Best buy for $114 .

The price is dropping rapidly since Cannon anmounced the TS9120 after only 6 months.

Mine uses cli270/271 with grey . I'm happy.

I may buy another one for parts (a new print head from Cannon is 92$ plus shipping)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This is a new series of "TS" printers to replace the present series. When the new series will be introduced in the US the cartridges for it will most likely be named PGI-280/CLI-281.

I think the reason for a new cartridge generation is that for maybe a year no refillable cartridges with ARC chips and no resetters will be available, meaning more OEM cartridges sold as refilling will be difficult. When ARC chips and a resetter become available we will probably see yet another new printer series with yet another new cartridge generation.

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
I checked amazon. Usually shipping is 2 days. For the ts9120 it's 2-3 months!

So what's with photo blue instead of grey? Will that hurt B&W quality?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Checking Canon US website it looks like the TS9120 is not yet available but will probably be soon. A link to supplies does not work (yet).

I don't know what improvements the new blue ink will bring and if B/W performance will be degraded with no grey ink. I think this idea is new, so I suggest to look for tests and reviews when the printer becomes available.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So what's with photo blue instead of grey? Will that hurt B&W quality?
Why would you think that not having grey and replacing it with blue would cause big issues for B&W prints, grey is not necessary to produce good quality B&W...

Drjim

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannon ts9020 pro100
So what's the point of grey if not more "shades"?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So what's the point of grey if not more "shades"?
Why would you think that not having grey and replacing it with blue would cause big issues for B&W prints, grey is not necessary to produce good quality B&W.

The printer software will take care to do the shades in just as subtle way without relying on one single cartridge, you must remember the C, M, and Y do 98% of a print and any extra available colours can only improve the overall image.

Some printers have extra colours too, like green, red, blue but don’t forget the black too and sometimes even two separate grey inks, along with light cyan and light magenta, and they all can combined to give a richer coloured B&W image, it's all down to the quality of the print drivers..