New Canon i9900 on the way, any advice, tips or tricks?

Pete Nicholls

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just ordered from Amazon for $381 shipped. Too good a deal to pass up. Been using Epson 1280 for past few years, but feel the "need for speed"! I know the speed will be great and hope everything else will meet or exceed expectations. Any advice, tips or tricks from you current i9900 owners would be much appreciated so I can get off with a "kick start"!

Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Regards,

Pete

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Pete,

I have had my i9900 for about 9 months, and I am very happy with its performance.

OEM ink prints well and gives good color, but it costs about $1 for the ink to print each 8x10 photo. By refilling the carts with bulk ink, this cost is reduced to about $0.06. If you are fussy about the color of your prints, you will need to learn about "color management", "printer profiles" and similar topics to use bulk ink and get the colors right. I average about (125) 8x10 prints/month, so refilling saves over $100/month.

There is a lot of practical knowledge and experience that numerous people have documented on this forum. Start by reading the section on FAQs, but you should also plan on spending many hours reading threads that cover a wide range of subjects. If this seems like a difficult task, consider how much work was involved by the various forum members in posting this information to make it easier for others.

Pete Nicholls

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am quite comfortable with color management, but will have to re-orient myself as I am used to Epson printers. I use Gretag Macbeth Eye One for monitor calibration and have tried PrintFix for profiling ink/paper but have not been happy with the results. I see a number of profiles here for various ink/paper combinations for the i9900 so will be looking forward to checking them out. I am also considering Profile Prism and see how that one performs. Might need a new scanner though as I am currently using an older Microtek 6400.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Pete,

Since you are already comfortable with color management, you shouldn't have any problems in this regard if you can find a profile for your ink/paper combination. The profiles provided by Canon for their inks/papers are good if you will be using OEM supplies. One downside of Canon printers is that there are very few profiles provided by non-OEM paper suppliers as compared to the support given for Epson printers.

In case you have not seen it yet, this post (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=625#p625) gives the driver settings required to use other profiles with your new printer.

Pete Nicholls

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Grandad35, I had not seen it. You might consider including it in the FAQ section to give it more visibility.

Pete