Need a new camera?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I have a Canon Power Shot A85 that the computer will no longer detect. All I did was knock the camera over in its side when it was powered up to cause this.

Any suggestions on a replacement camera to replace the Canon A85 would be appreciated.

I looked at Best buy and Walmart and they don’t stock many cameras any more.

Ash

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG5350
Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix LX7. I have the LX5 which a great little camera but not made any more.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Ron,
You never said how much you wanted to spend, that would help us greatly give you a bigger range of choice in the answer, I am using a Panasonic DMC FZ48 and couldn’t be happier with it, I gave up on the Fuji range ages ago.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I need to keep the price under $150 US.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you liked this old camera, maybe you could find a used one in good condition at a reasonably price at Amazon or Ebay? A high number of Megapixels does not per default equal high quality. I think the lens is the most important part of the camera.

I have an old Olympus 3.2 MP compact camera and also a Traveler ( an Aldi-Medion brand) 12 MP compact camera, bought cheaply at an Aldi sale. The old Olympus produces the clearest and sharpest pictures with the best colours. I think the quality of both the lens and the image sensor is better in the old camera.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I would not want another Canon A85 they are known to be fragile and eat batteries.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
The question mark in the title made me think you were asking if I/we wanted a new camera. You're asking a question, not making a statement.

I used to have an A80 and never connected it to the PC, I always took the SD out and used an integrated reader in the PC. I always used rechargable AA batteries so that wasn't an issue either.

If the camera works and you have no issues with it, just buy a USB/SD adapter, they're cheap.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks Msmart you are correct there should not be a question mark in the title.

Now I have t research USB/SD Adaptor which shows how little I know about this stuff. LOL

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Msmart's suggestion is a really good one. After connecting my cameras for a few times initially I've routinely used a USB card reader. Faster and useful if you've come back from a trip or activity with more than one memory card of images.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've been having such bad luck with buying cameras!

I'd love to move to a nice DSLR, but neither my wife or I want to lug around a big camera. I've now tested a few "travel zoom" cameras (Sony HX50V & Lumix ZS35) but neither of them do what I expect or want. I'd just like to have a nice pocket Point/Shoot camera that takes really nice pictures quickly.

Maybe my expectations are just too high for a non DSLR camera?