My story and experience with Canon printer i950 refilling and reset

neal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My story and experience with Canon printer i950:

I purchased i950 about two years ago. I purchased refill ink from a company named alotofthings.com. I purchased ink at the cost of about $12 (16 z for each color). So far I have used about 200 oz (about 6 liters) of all colored ink. I purchased 24 cartridges (4 each color) at the price of $2 each. I made a hole on top of such cartridges with a drill to refill the ink. To cover the hole (after refilling ink) I followed this procedure: I used a non-stick shiny side of paper (after removing labels) and used it for putting a duct tape and then cutting it into small pieces. I used these pieces of duct tape to cover the hole after refilling the ink. As soon as the ink finishes in cartridges, I replace it with new refilled cartridge. I cover the empty cartridge s bottom hole with a parafilm until next refilling.

So far I have printed about 20,000 colored pages (about 10% covered area) beside few hundred of photographs and printer is still running. Whenever print-head clogged, I took it out and submerged it in warm water for few hours and used again with no problems.

Few days ago, message displayed that waste tank needs to be replaced. I followed instructions as given by users in Internet to reset the printer. I also removed and washed the old waste ink pads. I opened up the cover by pressing inside 6 holes (triangle arrows), and removed the side white covers. There were two screws that needed to be taken out these screws are hardly visible but are located on backside (after cover was opened). The whole machinery came out and I put aside out (with wires still attached). It showed filled waste black pads under the print head area. I removed these pads (along with other foam linings around that area) by using gloves. I washed each pad at a time thoroughly. Do not squeeze such waste pads. Just wash the pads, by gently pressing and removing the ink. Later (after pads were semi-dried), I put every thing back. Printer is still running

Reset of waste ink counter: Start with the printer off, hold down resume button and then hold down POWER, release resume (still holding power button), press resume twice, then release POWER. Let green light blink until printer is done moving the print head. Select functions below (with resume): Number of presses (?0 presses green light which is a test print.?1 press - orange light it is grid nozzle diagnostic. ?2 presses green light which initializes. ?3 presses orange light which is reset of waste ink counter. Finally press power.

aeronic

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
sounds a great little system.

btw, what is 'parafilm' ?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Neil,

Wow, what a great first post! Every other sentence I was expecting you to say something like, "... and then it stopped printing." or "... and I couldn't unclog the nozzles." I guess I've been conditioned by so many posts of that nature. It is good to hear the super success stories too.

I hope you get at least another 2 years of excellent printing with your i950!

neal

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
What is parafilm?: If you go to any laboratory- that has access to parafilm. I was told by my son that their school used it in middle school too- to cover/seal flasks and beakers. It is a strechable plastic type material. It come as a roll. You can cut about 6 inches of strips (as your stock) and cover the hole of catddges until you refill. It will block the hole while you refill catridges.

Neil

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Nifty - Glad to see that you obtained that info on ASK.Com! I noticed that there is also a reference to using parafilm for bondage. Isn't that a subject for a different forum???? I wonder how it compares to a Glad product called Press'n Seal. Looks a bit like Saran wrap but has an adhesive quality that makes a pretty good seal. I have a roll and may try it on the exit port when refilling. I don't know if it is still on the market as we bought a roll when it first became available.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have a roll of Press & Seal. I believe it is still available at Target, Walmart etc. It works fine to just press and it will seal bottles, cups and plastic jars. But I have no knowledge if it will remain sealed long enough. A roll at a few bucks will last forever for sealing ink cartridges, if it works. It will be a hassle to cut it into small pieces though. It is very thin. Not fun trying to cut neatly.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
fotofreek.... you crack me up!!!

This sealing material sounds interesting... maybe a good product for sealing the air maze and/or exit port. This being said, I'm yet to find anything that works as easily and as problem free as the screw / o-ring technique.