My Octoprint Octopi Journey

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, it's an Octoprint Octopi Journey that might end with me deciding not to take the journey. LOL!

So, I don't know much about it. I don't even know the difference between Octoprint and Octopi.

I've NEVER done anything with a Raspberry Pi before, and it feels a little daunting.

I also have a bunch of old laptops (mostly Chromebooks, but one SUPER old Windows machines) and old phones that I'd be curious about repurposing to use instead of a Pi (to save money and reuse/repurpose).

This video gave me the idea:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
... now to add to my infinite options:

I just read about new mainboards / motherboards for upgrading 3D printers and see that some come with Wifi, octoprint support, etc. already built-in.

So, instead of adding Octoprint to my old CR-10, I could go down a rabbit hole of trying to upgrade the main board of my Creality CR-10 with silent drivers, wifi, etc. already built-in.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, instead of adding Octoprint to my old CR-10, I could go down a rabbit hole
And you know what happens when you go down a dark rabbit hole..:th
I’ll leave that one to your own imagination..
Stick to what you’re comfortable with..;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've been *mostly* content doing all prints via USB that are under an hour, then anything over, doing via SD card.

Unfortunately the USB connection has been sketchy and when connected to USB the intro flash-screen on my printer just keeps refreshing. Sometimes it will refresh 3 times, then look ok, but when I print via USB, the printer disconnects within about 10 mins and the CR-10 screen starts refreshing over and over.

So, I've been having to do everything via SD card. It's not the end of the world, and totally doable, but less than ideal. Figured now was as good a time as any to get on the Octoprint train.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Octoprint is still something everyone seems to be suggesting, but I still haven't dabbled in it. I think I'm ready.

Problem is: Raspberry Pi boards are either unavailable or SUPER expensive (compared to where they used to be in price).

I'm still dinking around with the idea of converting an old chromebook or Android phone into a device to run Octoprint, but have struggled with various roadblocks and might just pony-up and buy a Raspberry Pi .

Anybody have experience with Octoprint?

My biggest questions:
  1. Is the Raspberry Pi always left on? Is it turned on only when printing? I'm guessing it can be connected / powered by the mainboard of the printer so when the printer is turned on, so is the Raspberry Pi ? ... but then how long does it take the Pi to boot up?
  2. I like printing right from Cura, and I guess I lose that functionality with Octoprint? In the video below he says Prusa slicer can connect direct to Octoprint, which hopefully Cura will also do soon. (wait, 2nd video says there might be a plugin for this)
  3. ... but do I need this? My new Ender 3 V2 seems to be printing perfectly fine from CURA direct through USB to my printer, so maybe I don't even need to bother with Octoprint?

another helpful video:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Personally I would go the whole hog and run Klipper software which has amazing features compared to Marlin. Then add Mainsail, which is streets ahead of Octopi and is the Starship enterprise Holodeck of 3D printing :)

You can add Klipper and Mainsail to the stock machine...

Mainsail Or Fluidd Interfaces are fine. Fluidd is sort of stalled at the moment so maybe Mainsail would be the best to use, but either works beautifully. Both have Raspberry Pi image files available which make them easy to install.

https://github.com/mainsail-crew/MainsailOS

A nice Winter project for you Nifty. Then once you are familiar with that you have covered 80% of the knowledge required to build a Voron, so that can come next

And if you do all that might as well use the new Prusa Slicer or SuperSlicer. SS has fantastic tuning wizards.
:)

Oh BTW the RPI boots up pretty fast and can be closed down at the end of the printing from a button on Mainsail or Fluidd.

I can sit downstairs and see the Voron printing and control it over my wifi on my phone or tablet.

Last edited:

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
is the Starship enterprise Holodeck of 3D printing
LOL, you know how to speak to, and motivate my inner-geek!!! ;)
A nice Winter project for you Nifty. Then once you are familiar with that you have covered 80% of the knowledge required to build a Voron, so that can come next
Sounds like a slippery slope, LOL!
I can sit downstairs and see the Voron printing and control it over my wifi on my phone or tablet.
So, this is a great comment that makes me wonder if I really "need" to go down any of these paths (octoprint, Klipper, etc.) since my printer is right next to my desk and seems to run (especially my new Ender 3 v2) fine off of direct USB from CURA... and sd card for longer prints.

That said, there are some of the "nice-to-have" features and addons... especially having Klipper run prints faster without sacrificing quality. I'm just not sure I'm ready to dive that deep... at least not yet (but I can feel the bug is slowly growing). :D

RogerR

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
Octopi is part of the chain of things that allow remote use of a printer. It's amazing how much more convenient I find printing these days now that I have a good system. I have a CR-10 that's fixed up pretty well, but it never gets used. Essentially, it's just a spare if I ever need replacement Voron parts....or if I really need to print two things at once.

While sitting at my desk inside the house, I turn on three things in my shed using an Ethernet power controller. I turn on the printer (Voron) itself, the IP camera, and the overhead light. After about 15-20 seconds, Octopi is up and running and I connect over Ethernet. Turn on the heaters. Then upload the file I want to print and kick it off. I can watch and monitor the stats with Octoprint and see the activity on the video. When it's done, I can turn everything off and go get the part. At this point, I use some isopropyl alcohol to wipe the build plate so it's ready to do the next print. Which occasionally might not be for another 2-3 months. That's the most amazing part....that I can print a part remotely after 3 months of inactivity and it still works.

Octopi is designed to work over a network. So, control is straightforward. The Voron does auto tramming of the head to the bed (the bed is fixed, the adjustments are all for the head alignment). And the printer is enclosed, so the chamber gets up to about 50C and the ABS doesn't warp during printing. As opposed to before, I expect it to work every time......where I always "hoped" my previous printers would be aligned, would stick to the bed, would finish before warping, etc.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@RogerR Nice to see another "Raven" owner. now I don't feel as Nerdy as I did :weee

You are correct about printing after a long period of rest. Mine set idle for 5 mths due to other stuff taking priority, but a couple of weeks ago I actually got to print my first ever self designed part in F360 which was a lengthy learning process :) and then switching on the printer and seeing it print perfectly.

After that I went down the software update rabbit hole for a few hours because I suffer from "upgraditis" at times! Much had changed in the Klipper configuration and I learned a little more about it.

I used to use Octopi on the CR10 but I now find Fluidd or Mainsail to be a great interface and more features are appearing in them as time goes on.

Latest posts