My next printer should be ????

Simon Knight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9000 mkII Epson 1500W
Hi, I bet my title caused a few groans. The background is that at present I own two printers. The first is an Epson 1500W loaded with Eboni 6 inks dedicated to producing carbon black monochrome images. The second is a Canon 9000 Mk 2 loaded with Octoinks which is mostly used for school homework. The problem is that the Epson is now broken and has resisted all attempts to bring it back to life. The problems I have had with the Epson have been discussed in another thread but lets assume its dead.

I chose the Epson/Eboni solution because at the time of purchase mainstream desktop printers only had one black ink and the word on the street was you needed more. Also the web would have you believe that dye based images were fading away in weeks. Eboni6 solved both problems. When it comes to replacement my first option is to replace the Epson with another Epson and install an updated Eboni inkset, the question is do I need to?

I don't sell my images and if I'm honest I don't print that much: the Epson shows a print count of only 1600 prints since 2012. This means that there are periods of weeks where the printer is not used. The failure of the Epson has prompted me to print some mono images on my 9000 and have been surprised by the results. Mono using all the inks were pretty bad with colour tints in the high lights and shadows but the grayscale option worked quite well. It is a little dense in the shadows but I am sure that these can be opened up in processing. The other surprise was that the ICC profile used in software does have an effect on the greyscale conversion implying that special mono profiles could be created.

I have one image that has been printed three times on similar paper, first using Eboni, next Canon OEM greyscale and lastly OctoInks greyscale. The Eboni is more open in the mid tones while retaining deep blacks, the Canon ink is neutral and more dense while the Octoinks have a similar density and the merest hint of green. I am happy with OctoInk black until I see the Canon black.

So my first option re new printers is to just use my Canon 9000 II loaded with OctoInk colours and OEM blacks.

The next printer I would like to consider is the Pro 100S. I like the idea of dye inks because they may suit my intermittent printing requirements but I have read that it is not possible to restrict the machine to just using the mono inks (black and grays) and that it hard/impossible to get a neutral print. However, I also know that people don't read the manual and are quick to complain to the web. Can any owners report on how monochrome prints look from this machine?

Lastly the Pro10 is worth consideration, again can anyone comment on the quality of mono prints and also how often it needs using to keep the head clear.

best wishes
Simon

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
if you are after prints with the best fading performance you may look for printers which directly use pigment inks and not dye inks like the Pro 100, I would tend to recommend in this situation the Canon Pro10s with a Chroma optimizer or if you feel better with an Epson - then the P400, as well with a gloss optimizer , but I would prefer the Canon in this situation. Effects on a glossy surface are a combination of the inks and the paper used - like bronzing or gloss differences at different ink densities, those effects are significantly reduced - below normal visibility by this gloss/chroma optimizer. This bronzing effect can add a color tint to the print under particular viewing conditions - diffuse light or spot light - and the type of light - sun, bulb etc , and such effects cannot be profiled away.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Simon Knight, You’ve a very big conundrum as to which way you should jump, because you have specific expectations that a new printer much fit into to satisfy you needs.

I don’t use Epson printers, only Canon but I reckon a Pro 10 will certainly tickle your fancy, because they’re very good at B&W prints and they can be left for weeks on end without incurring the dreaded clog syndrome, and are extremely easy to refill...

Simon Knight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
" a big conundrum " yey! ;-)

That's two recommendations for the Pro 10s - thanks. My one concern with a pigment canon is how they respond to infrequent use.

What would you recommend that I use to refill the cartridges used by the Pro-10? Also do you know if waste ink an issue?

I think I will move the Pro10s to the top of my list.

Simon Knight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
While true, I know what is likely to happen.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What would you recommend that I use to refill the cartridges used by the Pro-10? Also do you know if waste ink an issue?
You can get all your refilling supplies locally from Octoinkjet.co.uk. and if you avoid the domino refilling trap, then waste ink will only be an issue for you way in the future, its a win win printer...

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
If fading is your main concern, then I would go with the Pro 10 also. However, sometimes I print just to show off some images and I like the Pro 100 for that. I use mostly semi-gloss paper and the dye inks really have that "pop" and the inks are very affordable. I'm using Precision Colors inks for both printers.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
" a big conundrum " yey! ;-)

That's two recommendations for the Pro 10s - thanks. My one concern with a pigment canon is how they respond to infrequent use.

I think I will move the Pro10s to the top of my list.

I have the previous model PRO 9500 II. It can be left unused for weeks without clogging.
The Pro 10 uses the same technology.
Cartridges are very easy to refill.

Dye inks have indeed a little more "pop" on glossy paper but suffer from fading, in particular the 3th party ones.
That's why I went 100% for pigment.

The latest pigment inks from Precision Colors (and Octoinkjet also I suppose) are very good on colours and gloss, in particular the ones for the Pro-10.
Also has the PRO-10 a Gloss Optimiser cartridge (I can only fake this with a GO overprint).

I think you always will see when a print has been made with a (Canon) pigment printer, but the slightly different gloss is largely compensated by the fine tone differences and the longevity of the prints.

3th party ink cost is a bit higher than dye but insignificant in the total cost.

Indeed, in the older PRO-9500 II the waste ink counter still can be reset, but I did not arrive in this situation yet after all these years, so I suppose the pads are big enough.

Last edited: