My new printer: Epson Photo R3000 A3+ printer !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I have sold my Epson 1400 with Inkrepublic.com damper CISS system with pigment ink and I have it replaced with this new Epson printer, which is in fact a miniature Epson Pro 3880 printer with static cartridges feeding a print head with a CISS-based tubing system.

Have a look at my printer:

2251_epson_r3000_01.jpg

2251_epson_r3000_02.jpg

2251_epson_r3000_03.jpg

No I am looking for some refillable systems which should be available the next weeks or so:

The Inkrepublic.com R3000 CISS system:

2251_ciss_r3000.jpg

The following refillable cartridges:

2251_refillable_r3000.jpg

So this will be my next testing project for refillable/aftermarket systems for this fantastic printer. Inkrepublic.com seems to have some problems with delivering the system, so I might begin with the refillable cartridges as soon as they will arrive. I will order a set from China. I already made some tests with this printer and it does really an excellent job. Because the print head as 3 extra nozzle rows the printer is faster than my Epson Pro 3800 printer.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Congratulations on your brand new R3000. Should prove to be a fantastic printer.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Does somebody knows how to redirect the internal waste ink tube into an external bottle ?

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
I'm also awaiting delivery of mine :) Pharmacist, as you are the ink expert here I have some questions for you:

As I like the look of dye inks on certain papers I'm planning to buy 2 sets of refillable cartridges: 1 for pigment inks (inkrepublics IRK-4 nano VM) and 1 set for dye inks (most likely hobbicolors or OCP). My most important concern: will the switching from pigment to dye and vice versa give any clogging problems? And secondly: do you have any idea how much ink is needed to fill the lines? When swicthing from 1 ink to another I need to purge the lines completely..would this waste a lot of ink?

I'm also looking for a way to redirect the waste ink tube. Some sellers on ebay sell a bottle + reset software and instructions...don't know if they are trustable though...

Thanks,
W.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi nertog,

Well actually I just sent a PM to you. Inkrepublic IRK4-nano and Inkjetfly IMA24/36 V3 are both very good, so both of them should be OK. The dye ink is bit tricky. Neither Hobbicolors or OCP sells compatible Epson Ultrachrome K3 ink in dye version. Most dye ink is a bit acid, whereas pigment ink is often basic, so not sure this will cause precipitation of the pigment. Yes you will wast a few ml's per channel to flush the lines (maybe about 10-15 % of each cartridge). But why should you use dye ink in this fantastic pigment ink printer ? Both IRK4-nano and IMA24/36 pigment ink will give you satisfactory results on glossy paper. Unless you want extremely glossy prints: go for dye only.
About the bottle + reset software resellers: not sure these sets will work. Buy and try, I would suggest.

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
pharmacist said:
But why should you use dye ink in this fantastic pigment ink printer ? Both IRK4-nano and IMA24/36 pigment ink will give you satisfactory results on glossy paper. Unless you want extremely glossy prints: go for dye only.
Well, I love the huge color gamut of dye inks. That's the main reason. I never tried the pigtment inks you mentioned...but I suppose the gamut still doesn't reach the results of dye inks? Did you ever compare an identical print from your Canon and Epson? My main concerns are Dmax and the gamut in bright saturated colors.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Nertog,

Dye ink still rule supreme in high saturated prints (out-of-gamut colours). I compared prints made with my Epson Pro 3800 versus a simple Canon MX850 printer: the simple dye printer rules supreme. No pigment ink, even Epson latest High Definition pigment ink set with orange and green cannot reach the saturation of most dye ink printers. But pigment ink is archival, dye not (unless you keep the prints firmly sealed, away from light and air).

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes those are the ones I am going to order.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Looks like they are ready to ship!