My First Refilling Purchase

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
I purchased a Canon Pro-100 printer a week ago new. After chatting with you amazing folks here at PrinterKnowledge.com about refilling I've realized PrecisionColors.com is the place to buy refilling products. I've also watched Jose Rodriguez's videos and he recommends all of the things I'm about to order for the first time in these two products:

1. 16oz PC42 Squezy Deluxe Kit with Resetter Price: 99.98
8 x 2oz Dye ink in Squezy Bottles, 8 Refill Plugs, Sealing Storage Clip, Ball removal tools, Electronic Resetter, Yellow Refill Cartridge
2. PC42 Refurb 8 Cart Set with Clear Plug Price: 40.00
All cartridges come properly flushed of the old ink and include plugs and storage clips as well.

Could you guys, including @jtoolman, verify that with this order I will have enough product to fill these 8 carts, use them to replace the original carts when low, reset the original carts and refill them, then when the refurb carts are low replace them with the original carts?

One of my concerns is will the electronic resetter reset the original carts? Or do I need to replace the chips in them?

Sincerely,

-=- PalaDolphin

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Could you guys, including @jtoolman, verify that with this order I will have enough product to fill these 8 carts, use them to replace the original carts when low, reset the original carts and refill them, then when the refurb carts are low replace them with the original carts?
Yes with one exception.

The "refurbished" Canon OEM cartridges are of the CLI-8 model, not CLI-42. Not an issue EXCEPT there are NO CHIPS. You will need to transfer chips from CLI-42 cartridges. You only need to transfer the Yellow chip from your CLI-42 onto the flushed Yellow CLI-8 cartridge that comes with your Deluxe Kit to complete one complete set of refillable cartridges. Result of your current purchase order is only one set of working cartridges until you purchase more CLI-42's (or chips).

It is the AFTERMARKET cartridges that have chips already installed on them. You would not need to transfer any chips - except the Yellow CLI-42 chip onto the replacement Yellow you will get with your Deluxe Kit - and will thus have two working sets of cartridges.

It is preferable to refill OEM Canon if possible to minimize risk of cartridge malfunction resulting in print head malfunction.

will the electronic resetter reset the original carts?
Yes

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes with one exception.

The "refurbished" Canon OEM cartridges are of the CLI-8 model, not CLI-42. Not an issue EXCEPT there are NO CHIPS. You will need to transfer chips from CLI-42 cartridges.

So, you're saying I'd need to transfer 8 chips each time I load new cartridges? Can I buy CLI-42 chips so I don't need to do that?

Result of your current purchase order is only one set of working cartridges until you purchase more CLI-42's (or chips).

It is the AFTERMARKET cartridges that have chips already installed on them. You would not need to transfer any chips - except the Yellow CLI-42 chip onto the replacement Yellow you will get with your Deluxe Kit - and will thus have two working sets of cartridges.

Is there another way to buy the chips other than buying the aftermarket cartridges?

It is preferable to refill OEM Canon if possible to minimize risk of cartridge malfunction resulting in print head malfunction.

I would rather use OEM Canon cartridges to avoid such damage to the print head.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So, you're saying I'd need to transfer 8 chips each time I load new cartridges? Can I buy CLI-42 chips so I don't need to do that?
What ever cartridges you are using they must have the specific CLI-42 chip on them for the printer to recognize them. Otherwise... no printing allowed. You keep the chips on the cartridges that are used for refills.

If you purchase a set of Mikling's flushed, drilled and plugged OEM Canon CLI-8 empties then you will need to put CLI-42 chips on them. Whether you would want to transfer chips from your set of CLI-42's that came with your printer onto the CLI-8's is up to you. I would not, except for the Yellow, of course. Better to purchase a second set of CLI-42's or get an aftermarket chipped set like Mikling sells ready for you to refill and are resettable a swell. It is up to you, but you should understand the risk however small or large - I do not know - it may be. Read Precision Colors page on Canon vs aftermarket cartridges for your Pro-100.

Is there another way to buy the chips other than buying the aftermarket cartridges?
Probably, such as eBay or Alibaba, but others will need to inform you. People purchase the Pro-100 and then part out the components on eBay. You might find a set of cartridges for less than retail. Ditto for a print head. Always call Canon Sales to ask how much they charge for a print head as they are usually the best "retail" price in the USA (eBay deals excluded).

Sometimes you spend the money to assure you the best quality, reduced malfunction risk, and longevity. No harm starting with just one set of cartridges and later adding to your collection unless you know you are going to be printing large quantities in short order, or print jobs are very time sensitive, and do not want to stop to refill midstream.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket chips do not fit on the OEM body without some precision work of carving plastic out to fit the encapsulation epoxy over the chip. This process is not for newbies. So only OEM chips fit OEM bodies unless you have skills in precise work to mod the cart behind the chip. Take off too much and you puncture the tank. I've been successful as well as not successful and I knew what to look out for. This is the reason I hold back from selling these aftermarket chips. I have a bunch, but am afraid of the results by purchasers.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
For $35, I found a set of Canon CLI-42 used ink cartridges:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/canon-cli-4...707996?hash=item1a2c2405dc:g:AgEAAOSw7GRZG36S
This would be preferable, right?

Actually swapping chips is very easy so no need to be intimidated. It really is as easy as the video shows on the PC website.

If you need to practices send me your postal address by PM and I will send a few old CLI-8 carts in a padded envelope for you to practice on before tackling the real thing.

rs

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually swapping chips is very easy so no need to be intimidated. It really is as easy as the video shows on the PC website.
WHOOO! I just experienced the delayed reaction from the heat of Taco Bell's Diablo sauce. DAMN!
Okay, back to printers...I actually don't know where to purchase the CLI-42 chips alone.

If you need to practices send me your postal address by PM and I will send a few old CLI-8 carts in a padded envelope for you to practice on before tackling the real thing.
Thanks, I'll let you know if I do.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why does refilling have to be so complicated, all that’s needed is two sets of OEM carts and two CLI-8 carts, this approach take the risk out of any possibility of damaging the head due to Yello Gello...;)