My awful experience with compatible cartridges on my Epson Stylus Photo PX820FWD (stationary cartridges)

james3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835
Hello, as already said on other thread I own an Epson Stylus Photo PX820FWD aka Artisan 835, and today I want to talk about the bad experience I had using compatible cartridges and how switching to refillable cartridges fixed my problem (I think at least until now), definitively

I bought the printer several years ago, something around 2012, I don't remember exactly, and at the beginning, for at least a couple of years,I always used original T080 Colibrì Epson cartridges series (almost 10€ each x 6 carts ); in 2014 I decided to try some cheap compatible cartridges that I found on Amazon because lots of people said that the ink quality wasn't that bad and they were happy about them.
Honestly I have to admit, the ink of some compatible cartridges is not bad at all, they wont last 98years as the Claria Epson inks claims, but who cares, to me and my family colors of the printed photos look well !!!
The problem with this cartridges is EXPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A STATIONARY CARTRIDGES ARRAY PRINTER (as the PX700 800 or Artisan 700 800,) is that they will AIRCLOG your head printer and eventually they could even ink-clog your printer because once the air is left on the printer head the ink will dry faster.
These "compatible" cartridges are poorly primed or probably lost the ink in their priming chamber while they were stored and transported (maybe because they sat upside down etc.) so what happen is that, when you replace an empty cartridge with a new compatible one, the printer head system will start to suck AIR instead of ink from the new cartridge and will AIRCLOG the color you replaced in a couple of days (depends how much you print and empty the previous ink sitting in the tube before the printer head) so you have to run a lot of printer head cleaning cycle wasting a lot of ink EVEN OF THE OTHER COLOR THAT YOU DIDN'T REPLACE and at the end the cartridges life will be very short because of all this wasting loosing the advantage of buying cheaper cartridges.
Another problem with many of those compatible ones is that often they have a very small amount of ink inside (I personally fetched ink from new unopened compatible cartridges and I found differences in quantity between same cartridges of the same brand and type ) so this, plus the bad priming will cause the AIRCLOG of your printer almost in 100% of cases.
Maybe the problem with this cartridges is lesser for those printer that DON'T HAVE STATIONARY CARTRIDGES ARRAY, since the cartridges sit directly on the top of the printer head and then the air is much more easily flushed away, but I don't know that for sure because I never had such a printer.

At the end I bought 6 refillable ARC cartridges, that I'm currently testing, I refilled those with the ink I fetched from remaining compatible cartridge that were left, I primed them aspiring some ink from the bottom using I special tip I bought online from octoinkjet, and since then I NEVER HAD A SINGLE MISSING NOZZLE ON ANY COLOR, my printer is doing flawlessly, and plus I don't waste any ink into printer head cleaning or that is left in the empty cartridge that you throw away when their chip say that they are empty (but often there's still a lots of ink in there)

I hope this will be useful at least for some newbies

Last edited:

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 5ECE9D (Artisan 837)
Thanks so much for the suggestions and the links to the referenced threads - very helpful for this newbie at least. I'll check the tubes leading to the print head tomorrow to determine which suggested action to pursue.