MX850 making horrible clicking sound when attempting to scan

LazLong

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just tried to scan a document on the flat-bed of my MX850 but the result was a little movement of the scanner bar and then a horrible jackhammer-like noise for several seconds and then an error 5010 on the LCD display. This has never happened in the past. This is my home printer and has only seen light use; it mainly gets used as a scanner as most of my printing gets done on an HP LaserJet 4000TN I have. I really love this printer and have all the refill supplies for it so I would like to repair this problem rather than buy a new one. Additionally, Canon doesn't appear to currently offer a printer of equal functionality and in any case I noticed a good deal of complaints about the quality of Canon's recent printers.

/EDIT

I found a service manual and parts diagram for the MX850, and the scanner subsystem isn't repairable; when the scanner malfunctions the entire scanner subsystem is removed and replaced as a single unit.

The description for error 5010 is as follows:

"5010 Scanner home position error. The scanner unit cannot detect the home position or the scanner unit warming-up is not performed properly at power-on."

The problem I believe is entirely mechanical. I think the scanning head got stuck while during a scan and the belt that rotates to move the head jumped a few teeth on the gears that rotate it. Each time a scan is attempted it jumps a few more teeth and becomes progressively out of position. If only I knew what the proper motion of the scanning head should be during a copy operation I could attempt to open the scanner unit and re-position the scan head to the proper resting/power-off position . Unfortunately I never really stared at the printer with the flatbed lid up while it was performing a scan or copy operation, so I don't know where the head is position when it starts and completes a scan. A movie of a complete copy operation would be very helpful. ;) In any case, opening up the scan unit shouldn't hurt as worst case I've got to replace it. The cheapest I could find was $112.

EDIT/

I've tried Google and here but didn't find an answer/magic bullet. Does anyone have any experience with this type of malfunction and know how to fix it, or have any suggestions?

Thank you for any help with this!

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
LazLong said:
I just tried to scan a document on the flat-bed of my MX850 but the result was a little movement of the scanner bar and then a horrible jackhammer-like noise for several seconds and then an error 5010 on the LCD display. This has never happened in the past. This is my home printer and has only seen light use; it mainly gets used as a scanner as most of my printing gets done on an HP LaserJet 4000TN I have. I really love this printer and have all the refill supplies for it so I would like to repair this problem rather than buy a new one. Additionally, Canon doesn't appear to currently offer a printer of equal functionality and in any case I noticed a good deal of complaints about the quality of Canon's recent printers.

I've tried Google and here but didn't find an answer. Does anyone have any experience with this type of malfunction and know how to fix it, or have any suggestions?

Thank you for any help with this!
I am not sure if the complaints were about quality of Canon printers as much as complataints about smaller cartridge size and harder to refill.
Al