MP610 just suddenly died!

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The power to the printer was on. There was a power outage. When the power was restored, the printer was back powered on. I opened the printer to get access to the print head and the power light went off. I can't get the printer to turn back on. Any ideas? If it is dead, if there an easy way to get the print head out?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Most likely the print head has failed, and prevents the printer from turning on. Canon print heads can fail for no apparent reason, especially if old.

If the printer will turn on after the print head has been removed, you know for certain that the print head is defective. But when a Canon print head fails it might damage the logic board, and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head so i cannot tell your chances of reviving the printer by replacing the print head. The printer most likely had the QY6-0067 print head installed. The replacement type is QY6-0075. Both types can be used in the printer.

The service manual has an instruction for dismantling the printer, you will need to remove the scanner and upper casing part to get access to the print head. The service manual is found here.