MP610 Contamination in Y cart

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Hi All,

Until recently I had an Artisan 730, which I liked but it started to clog and one day I damaged the printhead during the cleaning process. After that I looked for alternatives and in light of a good discount and because of the general sense that Canons have less clogging problems I purchased a MX721. This is when I found this nice forum and started to read its threads.

After reading the forum I learned about the good manufacturing quality of the previous CLI-8 printers and the mosquito bit me! Tu sum up, I searched into an online craig-list type of website (I live in BrazilI and found a MP610 for USD 11,00 (eleven dollars!). The lady on the phone told me that it had not been used for a very long period of time but she remembered that it was working. So, why not try?

I purchased it. When it arrived I tried to turn it on and it worked. It showed 4 empty carts. I refilled the canon carts with ink (after making some good mess, which makes me think that I should buy refillable carts...), circumvented the ink level warning and tried a nozzle check only and, to my surprised, the prints came good. After that I made some cleaning cycles and it seems that I am a lucky person. The printer is very clean inside which makes me think that it had light use. It has some scratches on the cover but it is in nice condition.

The problem that I am facing is on the Y cart. It seems that it has some sort of contamination in it. The yellow printed in the nozzle check came greenish. I took the cart out and looking through it I see that it has some sort of black oil (ink?) in the bottom of the spongeless chamber. It is like oil and water. The yellow ink does not mix with it. Is it black pigment ink?

Do you know how could it be there? The carts were empty and they were in their original appearance (i.e., there had not been drilled, etc.). Could the contamination come from the bottom (i.e., from the printhead)? Is there some sort of connection with the pigment cart that seats besides it in the printer?

I know that there are many flushing directions in the internet but which is the simplest and best alternative for cleaning the cart? Is it better to substitute it?

Finally, how can I clean the printhead? Probably the contamination is also in the printhead. I do not intend to take the head out of the printer (i destroyed my Epson last time I did it).

Thank you!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What has happened is, you have refilled all of the cartridges but the black cartridge next to the yellow has leaked and the escaping ink has flooded into the yellow.

Until you know how to refill these cartridges properly you would be better off buying a set of cheap aftermarket filled cartridge and using them, and once you have installed the new cartridges the colours will return to normal straight away.

There are many threads here explaining how to flush, dry, reset and refill the CLl-8 cartridges that would help you enormously, you should also find a stockist of good quality ink also..

Capture6.PNG