MP560 U140 Code

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok not my machine, reset OEM cartridges all lights are solid close the cover and a U140 pops up open the cover and all cartridge lights are off. cleaned contacts on cartridges, reset with resetter, tried another set of OEM cartridges, what is up with this?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This is strange. According to the service manual the error code U140 means a cartridge from a wrong region is used (??).

See this clip from the service manual:

MP560 U140.jpg

If you are interested, the links for the service manual and the parts catalog in this post are still OK.

The proper cartridges for the printer are PGI-x20/CLI-x21, in the US PGI-220/CLI-221. I think it is unlikely that all cartridges from 2 sets are defective, maybe contact springs for the chips in the print head carriage need cleaning?

I wonder, could this printer be an import from another region? This would explain the behaviour.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s quite possible that the resetter has changed or reset the region on these chips somehow, try buying a set of cheap aftermarket cartridges and test them in the printer first and if they work, then all’s well again.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
it turned out to be the batteries in the resetter, voltage may have been a little low, giving the appearance that they were properly reset, all is good now

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for telling us that a resetter running low on battery can cause this, even if it seems to behave normally. Hopefully the chips weren't permanently damaged but could be reset to OK with new batteries in the resetter.

Problems with a resetter is of course not covered by the service manual :D

Last edited: