More Crazy Canon Deals: Buy 1 Get 10 Free 4"x6" for $10 Plus FS

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wonder why Canon bothers to charge anything for their photo paper, because they are practically giving the stuff away now.. :hit

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I wonder why Canon bothers to charge anything for their photo paper, because they are practically giving the stuff away now.. :hit

Maybe they are making their money on the 8 colour A3+ printers currently on sale for US$49.00?

Or there really is gold in them thar OEM ink sales! :(

rs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yep. Sell more paper, print more pictures, buy more ink. It's nearly Machiavellian in scope and plot.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
When this comes to Europe? Canon wants to secure some market share after EPSON ink tank models being sold in Europe now all over the place?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
When this comes to Europe? Canon wants to secure some market share after EPSON ink tank models being sold in Europe now all over the place?

Regrettably Epson does not do it not all over Europe, and not with all models, and other models with ridiculous prices and artifical feature deprivation like the borderless printing

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, but EPSON is AFAIK the only "precision core" as they call it full page wide printhead printer manufacturer that does have not overpriced printers, even A3 format that do borderless, something that HP for example does not do.

I'm not mentioning or am I MEMJET tech printers as they seem to be complete fail because they are expensive and fail to print anything but text. The local MEMJET reps even said it has problems with paper feeder that feed multiple pages, does not feed heavier stock paper at all etc. So they are not pushing the MEMJET printers they represent anymore as nobody is buying them

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
'Precision Core' printheads are not full page wide, if I get that wrong, those Surepress printers use an assembly of multiple (11 or..) printheads across the page, and with a speed of 15m /minute they are not cheap either, and probably outside the range of this discussion. Printers with the new precision core technology start with small business models.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When it comes to print heads, I’d love to see a Pro printer which incorporated twin print heads, with two completely separate rails and carriageway, it would print really great photos, graphics and text for brochures and newsletters, but sorry guys I’m only dreaming of perfection.
A bit off topic.. :hu

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well we should all kick ourselves in the ass that there is no open source 2D printer, there are dozen 3D printers, 2D printers that can print with HP cart installed by driving itself around, etc.
http://www.zutalabs.com/

But nobody makes printer barebones that you could buy drop in print head from EPSON, HP, Canon and print. The Bloody refiller industry have enough time to keep on hacking new cart chips every month, but no brains to make their own no nonsense printer and leave the OEM EPSON,HP,Canon to those who need supposedly 100 years overpriced more than gold inks to begin with.

I should say that however this is true for desktop market, on wide format there are many companies that went this route and yes none of them make printheads, and if some companies make printeads they do their best to sell them so all documentations controller are there. The only problem is greed !

Who the heck can buy A3 UV printer from Roland, etc. for 50000Eur etc. This is nonsense IMHO.