1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Real Cool Upgrade to Improve your 3D Printing...
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Moisture, Beware...

Discussion in '3D Printing Design, CAD, Modelling, Filament, etc.' started by The Hat, May 10, 2018.

1. May 10, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I’ve been having real good fun since getting back to my 3D printing, because I wasn’t involved with any 3D stuff for more than eight week, I’ve lost my edge and am making all sorts of newbie mistakes. (Lots of them)

I am having to learn everything all over again, well the most important things, when I first started back I couldn’t get anything to print, I just keep on getting balls of candy floss on all my prints, despite trying everything possible.

Then @Redbrickman came to my rescue once again, and all dough I taught his suggestion was a bit stupid, I went along with it, (Naive comes to mind) because I’d tried everything else, with both Gcode and hardware updates and downgrades too.

He advises me to open a new roll of filament and try and see if that would print with a profile he provided, and to my amazement it worked, all the Friggin PLA rolls I had in the open must have been contaminated with moisture.

It made a lot of sense when you think about it, we’ve had non-stop rain for the past ten weeks and this filament had been exposed to all that humidity without been used for that length of time, I wrongly taught that PLA was immune from humidity.

I printed this lovely little USB box yesterday and there wasn’t the slightest problem from start to finish, but then today I tried to print the same box again but this time with an old black roll of filament I’d had drying out in a box for two days.

Untitled-1.jpg Mess.jpg

The results are plain to see, Moisture does cause problems with PLA filament too...

Redbrickman likes this.
  2. May 16, 2018
    Nifty

Nifty Printer Master Administrator

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Yeah, PLA is pretty susceptible to moisture! I've had the filament get pretty brittle and snap during printing.

What you're seeing in that black pic is pretty similar to the problem I was having last month. It's often frustrating that problems can come from 100 different sources (nozzle, slicer settings, filament, moisture, etc. etc. etc.)

The Hat likes this.
  3. May 18, 2018
    FryingSaucer

FryingSaucer Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Canon MX925,MX725. 3D:Anet A8
    When I get so depressed about brexit, and wished I lived somewhere else, I realise there are always some downsides.

The Hat and Nifty like this.
  4. May 18, 2018
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    It's going to be ok. There will be growing pains and separation anxiety, but the people are historically proven tough with a "can do" spirit. :hugs

The Hat likes this.
  5. May 19, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    We’re now only experiencing Spring, because this year’s weather has been crazy... :smack
    He says with confidence.... From a distance...:idunno

6. May 19, 2018
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    We did it 235 years ago and are still here. You will be too. :woot

If you need a break then come on over and we'll find you some nice bourbon whiskey to warm the cockles of your heart. ;)

The Hat likes this.
  7. May 19, 2018
    FryingSaucer

FryingSaucer Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Canon MX925,MX725. 3D:Anet A8
    Suppose you lived in a state that somehow managed to secede from the US against your wish. That's how I feel about having my EU citizenship removed.

The Hat likes this.
  8. May 19, 2018
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    I'd really like to know what your thoughts are on this topic. Sent you a Conversation to get a better understanding of your concerns and to take the discussion to a more appropriate environment.

FryingSaucer and The Hat like this.
  9. May 19, 2018
    Nifty

Nifty Printer Master Administrator

Printer Model:
    CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
    Ugh, don't go private... I'd like to see the discussion. Maybe start a new thread in this section if inclined: Everything Else

The Hat and stratman like this.
  10. May 20, 2018
    stratman

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    FryingSaucer replied to my Conversation and provided clarity to his position. I appreciate his candor. I will start a new thread in Everything Else for all to comment. It is an important topic for the world.

Nifty and The Hat like this.