MG7760 wacky output

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Experimental Scrabble score sheet: Thought I'd see how it looked and the printout is as you see.

Is the printer EOL or is there some adjustment I can make?
Scrambled.jpg

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
No. I wasn't sure this sort of glitch was covered in that section. But I'll try it now.
Cheers :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the score sheet is printed in landscape orientation? Then the problem could also be caused by a dirty timing strip. But hopefully the print head alignment will straighten the horizontal lines, as the timing strip is difficult to reach on these printer models without removing the scanner.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
OK, did a single page auto-align, no better. Then a 3-page manual align. Still no better.

Oddly, a regular Windows test page is perfect.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Thanks, PeterBJ. Didn't see your post. Yes, it's landscape. Should Portrait make a difference?

Oddly, my MX720 prints the sheet perfectly.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The broken lines are vertical when seen in a portrait orientation. The printer uses bi-directional printing and if the print head isn't aligned properly or the timing strip is dirty so the print head position cannot be determined accurately print in the two directions can become misaligned. This can cause the "breaks" in the vertical lines when the print head changes print direction.

I have an MG5550 and an MG5450S both with defective print heads, one was free and one was cheap at a thrift store. I think the MG5450S is most similar to your printer, so I will try to figure out how to remove the scanner to get access to the timing strip. IF I am successful with this I will post some photos showing the procedure.

If somebody knows how to disassemble these printers or knows a link, please post.

The MX720 prints the sheet perfectly because it doesn't need a print head alignment and has no problems with a dirty timing strip.

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
PeterBJ, thanks again. You've been most informative :)