MG7150 with Problems ! Help

csbuild

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg7150
Hi @all !
I have a MG7150 to repair, with the famous Er 5b00.
Yesterday, after a few try, I could enter in the service mode, but I choose the false value to setin the service tool (I reset the ink cartridges instead of the ink tank)
That seem have worked the first time (the cartidges moved again) after shutdown. But after an on/off state, the 5b00 came back again.

But now, there is no way I get into the service mode again, the 5 or 6 release/push the resume button leaves the printer with either the power led on or the stop led on, the service tool don't see the printer. If I try more or few release, printer starts normally.

I know these modes are not the real service mode, because the screen just stay off, instead on and blank.

So, have you any ideas why I can't get back in the service mode anymore ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The problem is that the printer is of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation. You can enter service mode, but the use of a wrong service tool will cause the printer to lock service mode.

A service tool newer than v3400 or v3600 seems to be needed. Some say that service mode operations on these printers can only be done on-line from a Canon service server.

I have experienced the same as you with a MG5550 that is of the same cartridge generation. You can read more about these service mode problems in this thread and in this.

csbuild

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg7150
Thanks for reply and the informations !

So I think I've bricked this printer... Not a big deal, as it was a "gift" to repair. But crapy from canon... Before I tested the tool, I dismantled the printer, try to start without some cables in hope it can resolve the thing. I have already repaired some other computer things with some "easy" tricks (shortcut of pins), you think there is a way to do so with the canon too, to unlock the service mode again ?

With a service manual it could help, but as I've already read, it is nowhere to find it.

Thank you !