MG6650 blocked

PrintJob

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6650
Hi printer experts,
I have a problem with my Canon MG6650: It's blocked - the famous error message 5B00 which would suggest I'd need to reset the ink waste counters. In the meantime I learnt that the right version of the Canon Service Tool needs to be used (v4905). But that does not work anymore. As the printer was a present from a friends friend, I assume different versions have been tried resulting in a complete block/brick of the printer. Eg service mode does not work either anymore. I gonna call this one 'printer A'. It's firmware version is V4.020

My plan: get another printer of the same model and just replace the firmware.

For +-5USD equivalent I found an equal printer model MG6650 - let call it printer B. Firmware version here is V3.010. It's working perfectly. But there is still this bricked old printer A...
- Got the firmware off printer B
- loaded it to my printer A
But surprisingly (or not?) it does not work. I also noticed there are two different firmware EEPROM chips used on both printers.

I saw this post about unbricking the service mode and hope something similar would work here as well.
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/unbrick-service-mode.12877/

Any ideas?? Thanks!

For the ones interested in working with the firmware: using a chinese ch341 EEPROM programmer + some cabling for level shifting from 5V to 3.3V (for all pins!) + a SOP8 test clip it's quite easy. No soldering etc just read or write the fw from the chip.