MG6120 printer showing "ink absorber nearly full"

BevG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6120
I have been using computers since 1983 - we started with a Commodore 64 and went on from there! At present, I have an HP 15" laptop (5 years old) which is beginning to give me grief with charging so I have an eye on a new one appearing on a Black Friday sale next week.

I think we have almost always had Canon printers and have been extremely pleased with them. I presently have an MG6120 that I love - it's 7 years old and I love it.

I have a wide range of computer interests - I'm trying to digitize my househole - slowly because it takes a while to scan all those old utility bills. My husband says "Why?" and I suggest that maybe one day one of my great-great-grandchildren will be curious as to what we paid for electricity back in 1973!!! I am interested in genealogy and have taken custody of my family files. I've converted most of my recipes to PDF files and printed recipe binders for my two daughters about 12 years ago.

I decided that it was time to let my daughters see what I had been cooking during the last several years, so I have just completed a roughly 80-page "addendum" to my original recipe collection. It was while printing this yesterday that I received an "ink absorber nearly full" message. This website was one of the search results that I obtained. I was so impressed with the problem solving here - it seemed to be exactly what I needed. So I am here to ask a couple of questions to clarify where I should go from here.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Canon MG6120 is of the PGI-225/CLI-226 cartridge generation, meaning service tool v3400 can be used and there is no risk of being locked out of service mode if you make a mistake.

Here is a thread about resetting printers of this cartridge generation. This post has a working link to a download of the service tool. The download is safe. This post has a detailed instruction for entering service mode and doing the reset.

Edit: Before entering service mode verify that the printer works with a USB connection if you are not normally using USB connection. Also make sure that only the printer you want to reset is connected to the computer. Other printers connected to the computer via USB can interfere with the service tool and prevent it from functioning even if they are not turned on!

I hope this is sufficient info to do the reset, else feel free to ask.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I hope this is sufficient info to do the reset
Thank you for telling OP which Service Tool was appropriate. I looked for one but came up short.

The Service Manual I linked to has just about everything spelled out in steps and pictures, from entering Service Mode to using the Service Tool to printing and analyzing the EEPROM to images of dismantling the printer. Amazing resource.

BevG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6120
Thank you, PeterBJ and stratman. I briefly considered buying a new printer. But then I have a double set of ink cartridges sitting here that I would have to sell for peanuts. So I decided not to do anything about the ink absorber pads. But I did follow the instructions for entering Service Mode and resetting the ink absorber counter. Something puzzled me, though - when the Service Tools window popped up, the counter was already set at 0%. Does that mean it automatically resets when the Service Tool is launched? Anyway, when I turned the printer back on, I didn't get the error message any more, so I think we are good to go. I did put a plastic bag under the printer and topped it with a triple layer of paper towels so that should protect my furniture if something leaks or spills. Thank you again for your help - it has been greatly appreciated. Take care and stay safe ...

BevG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG6120
I've attached the text file. I went back into the Service Mode and checked all the locations because I recollected seeing a drop-down arrow on the counter dialog. All the locations there showed 0% so I hadn't really missed anything the first time. The printer works just fine now, so I'll just keep going. Hopefully I can use up my extra ink before it decides it has come to the end of it's natural life!!

Attachments

• 2020.11.22 EEPROM save.txt
    856 bytes · Views: 223

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
MG6100 SN=ABXK11155 CND V1.050 ST=2011/07/27-12:49 LPT=2020/11/22-14:44

D=000.5

DF=00199

ST = Date printer installed

D = Waste ink counter - as if new with ~ empty pads

DF = Estimated number of months left till Waste Ink Counter full (199 months based on usage).

(The DF is exaggerated because it is an estimation computed from the date of the printer's installation (ST) and the current recorded state of the Ink Waste Counter (D). In reality, it took you less than 120 months to trigger the warning about the Waste Ink Counter being nearly full.)

Awesome. :woot

Thank you for posting. Happy printing.

Last edited: