MG5765 Paper Jam

Soporose

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all.
Printer: Canon MG5765

I'm posting this incident in the off chance that it may help someone else in the future.

I've owned a succession of Canon printers for several decades and generally been quite satisfied with them. This thing I've only had for a few weeks and have already decided it's probably the worst printer I've owned in a long time. The tray that receives the output paper is way too short so unless you're right there to grab each sheet as it comes out it will shoot out onto the floor. At least once during every print run, sometimes many times, an "out of paper" error will halt printing. This is apparently nothing to do with the mechanics of the paper feeder because simply pressing the OK button will resume printing again.

Anyway, I've resigned myself to those irritations, but today saw a different problem arise.

Last night a sheet of paper got jammed. Lifting the front cover which gives access to the ink cartridges I can see about 3/4 of an inch of paper sticking out. Canon's instructions tell you to take hold of this and drag it forward to clear the machine. Well, only a baby could get their hands in there that far, so I tried gently gripping the paper with a pair of pliers and trying to edge it forward, but it wouldn't move even a fraction of an inch. Gently increasing pressure bit-by-bit, wiggling, all the usual stuff, just gets to the point where the paper tears.

I couldn't find any other way to get further into the machine to find the wayward sheet of paper, so I rang Canon support Australia. I'm fairly sure I wasn't talking to anyone in Australia (but what's new). After taking a lot of details from me, very few of which had anything to do with the printer or the problem, Phil the "support" person offered to email to me the addresses of the local Canon support centres, none of which are conveniently close to me.

All I really wanted was instructions on how to get further into the hardware to expose the paper path. Common sense says there must be a way. But my helpful foreign friend insisted there was no such documentation that he could direct me to. The guy himself clearly had zero product knowledge – he was there to do exactly what he did: take my details to enter into their database and send me to a technical centre.

So after wasting 10 minutes with him I went back to taking a closer look at the printer, trying to find a way in that I could be confident of recovering from.

FOUND IT!

MG5765.png

Switch the printer off, turn it on its side, and look at the back. There's a large, rounded cylinder type of thing, with a projection on one end which is actually a handle. Push the handle towards the opposite side of the printer and the cylinder can now be popped open, showing it to be just a rounded plastic cover concealing the paper path. Your jammed paper will be right there in full view.

Technical support? Very poor effort Canon.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Soporose, thank you for your great tutorial support with your Canon MG5765, good advice is always welcomed.

You obviously know quite a bit about printers, not to just pull the paper jam backwards, otherwise you would have need a new printer.

Technical support:- Supplied by Canon is usually a total waste of time, but never the less, there’re always quick to point you towards their Service Agent..:caf

LizFG

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 5765
Hi Soporose
Printer: Canon Pixma MG5765

Everything that you described with regard to the paper jam is exactly the same as my experience - except instead of using tweezers I tried small kitchen tongs. Same result - paper didn't budge, just began to look rather ragged around the edges. (Somewhat resembling myself at that stage!)
I decided against trying to telephone Canon, my suspicion was that it would be like phoning Telstra for their "support" - from your comments it sounds like my suspicion was correct. I did, however, have a try at "talking online to a support tech". After a few ridiculous suggestions from what became apparent was, in fact, a robot whose first language was not English, I requested to speak to a human being - 'robot person' had one more try and then asked if I wanted to speak "to a real person". Nothing happened. 'Real person' seemed to be uncontactable.
At this point I went for blogs on Google for the above Printer - and thank goodness, came across your post.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that my sanity is intact, however you have restored it to at least as good as it was prior to several days of battling between trying to retrieve the jammed paper from the front of the machine and searching for help on the Canon site.
What euphoria!!!
I know where to go for help in the future.
My sincere gratitude to you Soporose.