Menu printing....double sided photo paper

crphillips

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi there,

I am wanting to print some restaurant menu's for a friend. It is going to be a menu devided into 3 and concertinaed. The quality and finish of normal card is not suitable for the job.

I am a huge fan of the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Photo paper and have used it for years in conjunction with my Epson R1800 and R200.

The finish of this paper is ideal for what i want to do but i am after something that is printable on both sides......I have found several companies that sell double sided satin photo paper but these are all fairly lightweight paper. the heaviest i have found is 270g...........I need something a minimum of 320g.......does anyone know of anything.

Please help.

Cheers

Chris

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I haven't seen any double sided paper as heavy as you require. If the menu's are going to actually be used at the tables (as opposed to using them as handouts) they will be subect to quite a bit of moisture and can easily be damaged. Both from a cost and durability standpoint, you may find it more practical to use a heavy weight double sided sheet and then have it laminated with a thin laminate - i.e. 3mil. Note: if you decide to use lamination, be sure to either score or fold the sheets prior to laminating them.

crphillips

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi there,

This may be possible although i don't want them to appear too glossy as they may look a bit cheap and tacky. Good tip about scoring them before laminating them.

i think double sided photo paper would be quite good as it is waterproof to a degree but i just cannot find the weight i need.

What do the professionals print menu's onto?

I've noticed that indian restaurants the Argraa have theirs printed on a thin sheet of plastic that has a satin finish. Somethin like that would be great.

Cheers

Chris

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Most restaurants I've been to use a menu that has the ability to slide in printed pages. This allows them to swap out specials, changes to the menu items and price pretty quickly. No need to laminate, just print and slide in the pages.