Maxify Problem..?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My trusty Maxify was happily printing away yesterday when it came to a sudden stop, now it's dead in the water with one of Canons stupid errors (B504) that means nothing, but it is flashing the led 8 times, anyone got any reasonable suggestions… ?

If it means a new print head then the machines is finished, because I’ll not get a new head for the sake of it… I got other printers that I can use...
The Feckin thing won't print, but it will run cleaning cycles, that's typical... :eek:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I may be wrong here but I think I had that error appear on my Maxify once though I don't recall the flashing LED sequence. I put in another set of carts and the error went away. Try taking out your ARC set and put the OEM's back in, perhaps put a litttle ink in them via the syringe method first if they are near empty.

I think at the tiem I read Palombian's posts and that is what led me to try a different set of carts.

See post number #14 on this thread

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/mb2350-error-b504.11851/page-2#post-109870

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I put in another set of carts and the error went away. Try taking out your ARC set and put the OEM's back in
Thanks @Redbrickman, for cracking my problem, I still had the original unopened carts that came with the printer so I gave them a go after soaking the print head over night.:thumbsup

The issue was resolved instantly but only after the biggest maintenance clean I’ve ever seen, it went on for about seven minutes, moral of the story is, don’t take the print head out unless you have too.:eek:

The new OEM carts went in no problem but the cyan chip showed a red X and I reckon this was carried over from the compatible carts earlier, because the cyan chip on them was showing very low for ages. (Failure to reset) ?

The one good thing that has come out of this, is the OEM carts preform much better and the prints are far more crisp, (Better ink flow) so I reckon I will continue to use the OEM carts with ARC chips fitted when the time comes to refill.;)

I just wish Canon would Feck off with their crazy error numbers and just use plain English to describe the problem, pigs may fly… :smack
This forum has saved my bacon once again. Thanks guys..

P.S. I ran another manual print head alignment because of the head removal.. Works great again..:)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Nice to see that you solved the problem.:) After all this time advising Maxifys to people asking for a new reliable machine, it would have been sadly ironic that you were the first person here to have a serious problem with one of them.
Obviously, Canon's error codes system have been created by the same team who wrote their WI-FI set-up software ( I guess they're related to Franz Kafka and the Marquis of Sade :D )

Until now I haven't purchased compatible or extra OEM carts for my MB5150. I’m using only the ones which came with the printer (plus ARC chips). Black has been refilled twice with third party ink but C,M and Y are still running on OEM ink. Now I’m thinking of getting another original Canon black. It’s very convenient to have a spare already refilled when the one in the machine goes empty.
I’m also curious to know if a “virgin” OEM black cart has the same starving/banding problem that occurs with my refilled cartridge when printing huge areas of solid black in standard quality on plain paper.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@The Hat - great to hear it is up and running again - thanks really to @palombian who made the discovery, but my brain actually worked for a change and remembered the error message and fix. I'm still using the OEM's with ARC chip and they work great.

@Artur5 - I do dnot know whether it is just a quirk of the Maxify or it is the 3rd party inks but I find that the Yellow will not print a nozzle check properly in Standard mode. I print everything in high quality now anyway as ink is cheap.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
After all this time advising Maxifys to people asking for a new reliable machine, it would have been sadly ironic that you were the first person here to have a serious problem with one of them.
Thanks @Artur5, Ironic is the perfect word for it alright, :eek: but my problem is from lack of use not over use, because I know the Maxify will print forever when in constant use.

The Maxify OEM black ink is very good value for the 70 ml size cart..;)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yes, cleaning and lots of nozzle checks - both yellow strips have banding but on high quality printing there is no problem.