Maxify Compatible Cartridges PGI-1200

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Is anybody using the Maxify Compatible PGI-1200 Cartridges from Precision Colors? Are you satisfied?

Are there other good choices/suppliers for PGI-1200 refillable cartridges and inks in N. America? I see Inkproducts.com has some good videos on refilling these cartridges, but he's got a complaint here in the message forums for rude customer service.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I would advise you to refill the OEM carts and replace the chips by ARC's (available on Aliexpress).

No experience with N. American inks (except Precision Colors) but in Europe several suppliers have very good quality ink at lower prices than pigment ink for PRO photo printers.
I suppose the Maxify is less demanding at this point.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I hadn't considered refilling the OEM cartridges. I watched one of the videos but it used a plug for the air hole during filling and had some ink squirt out at the end despite having put some vacuum on the syringe before removing it. I'm not sure if the person said how much ink to put into a cartridge.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I hadn't considered refilling the OEM cartridges. I watched one of the videos but it used a plug for the air hole during filling and had some ink squirt out at the end despite having put some vacuum on the syringe before removing it. I'm not sure if the person said how much ink to put into a cartridge.

As you experienced the Maxify cart has a ventilated bag.
IMO nobody knows exactly how this works (and where the second hole above the ink outlet is for).
I put about 10% more ink than what Canon indicates as usable volume, probably what is drained after replacing a cart.

This rather long activity could be needed to install the correct (negative) pressure to avoid leaks and cross contamination of ink, happening much more often with the refillables than with OEM's.
The refillables have kind of an expandable section for pressure regulation too and more important a valve in the ink outlet to avoid leaking when removing and inserting.
Not to forget visible ink level.

It's choosing between pest and cholera, personally I have less issues with refilled OEM's.

Last edited:

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Well, running out of ink forced my hand. I just ordered ink from Precision Colors and a set of reset chips from ebay. I'm still reading the 30+ pages on Maxify refilling and compatible cartridges you guys created here. I should be ready by the time my ink arrives. I didn't get much economy out of the cartridges that came with the machine - a total of 225 pages printed - 192 with color and 33 B&W since January when I got the printer.

Where do you get the special syringe tip for refilling that's seen the videos and how much do those cost?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, running out of ink forced my hand. I just ordered ink from Precision Colors and a set of reset chips from ebay. I'm still reading the 30+ pages on Maxify refilling and compatible cartridges you guys created here. I should be ready by the time my ink arrives. I didn't get much economy out of the cartridges that came with the machine - a total of 225 pages printed - 192 with color and 33 B&W since January when I got the printer.

Where do you get the special syringe tip for refilling that's seen the videos and how much do those cost?

Pass to @The Hat , he cut off a needle.