Manual cleaning of Canon Pro-1000 head (removal and replacement procedure.)

tomsaknit.com

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1, Pro-1000, Pro-4000
I've enjoyed my Pro-1000 for over a year now and have had flawless results...until...
...My Yellow head clogged.

I'd like to remove the head and manually clean it, but I remember Jose Rodriguez saying something about specific conditions that must be met in order not to have the head canceled (rendered inoperable) by the machine.

I've searched, but can't find the quote about the power state or alignment of the stars that is required for safe removal and replacement of the same head.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
With this type of printer, head removal is usually never needed, except in certain circumstances like head replacement, the printer can clean the head itself, so you should give it a chance to rectify this issue by using cleaning cycles but only on the block that contains the yellow.

Run a normal head clean and print a nozzle check and see if that has cleaned up the clog and if not then run 1 deep head clean followed by the nozzle check, and check the results between both of them, if still not clear then switch the printer off and wait an hour to try another nozzle check again, patience is a requirement..
P.S. Check you still have ink in the yellow cart and you’re not pulling in air ?

tomsaknit.com

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1, Pro-1000, Pro-4000
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've replaced with a new yellow cartridge, done a head cleaning, and tried again. Zero yellow comes out. Also, if I read other posts correctly, when the nozzle check is performed the automatic correction covers for any clogged ports. If that is correct, even if I do yet another cleaning and get something, I'm not positive the head is thoroughly clean.

I'll try one more deep clean now, but should the process you outline fail, I'm prepared to go to a manual cleaning. In that case I need to find out if the unit must be off...or in some menu driven state in order not to lock the print head out for future use.

Thanks, all, for your consideration.