MacBook and bad profile making due to lighted logo.

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
Found this in the FAQ section of BasICColor's website and thought it interesting.
  • » I get unsatisfying results when calibrating a MacBook. What can I do?
    Placement of the measuring device directly opposite the 'Apple' symbol on the backside of the screen negatively affects the calibration results. This can be explained by the fact that the 'Apple' symbol may allow some ambient light to shine through to the other side of the screen on which the measurement device is mounted. For a good calibration result shift the measurement device off the symbol but still as central as possible. If your measurement device allows you to select a "Monitor Type" please choose: White LED

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If anyone is serious about photo editing at all, then they should not attempt to do it on any laptop, Mac or otherwise, properly calibrated laptop screens are useless for that sort of task, viewing yes, printing no... :eek:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
If anyone is serious about photo editing at all, then they should not attempt to do it on any laptop, Mac or otherwise, properly calibrated laptop screens are useless for that sort of task, viewing yes, printing no... :eek:

I think the term "ANY" may be a bit strong. I believe there are some new MAC laptops that have excellent displays and also some some PC laptops that have very good displays. In all cases the prices are very high.

rs

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I agree with Roy. Some of the high-end notebooks (Sagar?) are getting to the 99% Adobe RGB if they're not already more.

I watched some Creative Live class where the compositor (i.e. A retoucher who is more like an illustrator.) was using some $6,500 Windows calibrated laptop or notebook for her work. Don't know the brand as it wasn't commonly known. She wasn't fond of Apple Retina due to the colorfulness and glossiness of the Apple screen and preferred whatever matte screen she was using.

Found it (Renee Robyn): https://www.creativelive.com/courses/essential-compositing-techniques-renee-robyn
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/essential-compositing-techniques-renee-robyn
I recall it because she had her name engraved on the top cover which started the class chat going on about "What brand it was?" and "Who made it?" The class moderator said in the chat room it was very heavy and custom built for her. I know she runs Capture One during the class on it and linked to a Wacom tablet of some sort during shooting and compositing.

W.F.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Both @Roy Sletcher and @W. Fisher, completely missed my point all together regarding the use of Laptops as stable workspace. :oops:

One can cut the lawn with a hand sheers and do a reasonable job of it, but will notice later that they have missed a little bit, that’s the nature of Photo Editing..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
If anyone is serious about photo editing at all, then they should not attempt to do it on any laptop, Mac or otherwise,

I though your point, summarized above, was pretty clear, and I voiced a mild disagreement.

Attend any media or photographic event and watch the participants open their macbooks and laptops. You almost get blinded by the big Silver Apple logo as they hastily edit the files before sending to their editors. Many pro's operate from locations that require mobility that does not permit the luxury of a large desktop with big screen.

Of course the final result depends on your perspective of ART.
From the Latin ars, which, loosely translated, means “arrangement” or “to arrange.”
The Brits could be accused of adding an "e" to the end for their local dialect. :)

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Roy Sletcher, I will then have to stand corrected, because to me it’s not possible to get satisfactory results from such small screens in unfamiliar lighting conditions.
I am never too old to be put in my place..:hide

Latest posts