LRoom images to remote computer/printer

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark
My image editing computer is not connected to my computer which prints to my Cannon PRO-100.
How would you suggest I get my edited LR images over to the PRO-100. Sinker net? I can not connect my editing computer to my remote computer and I can not move my printer over to the editing computer.
Thought I'd use sneaker net, but I'm not sure what program to use on the printer computer in order to save the profiles and color space as defined on the editing computer.
Any thoughts?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
so are you saying that both computers are stand alone and not connected via any type of network ?
You could establish a 'network' connection via powerline adapters or get a WLAN router and a WLAN/USB stick if you cannot pull any network cable. What distance are we talking about ? And once you have any type of network running, you either keep that computer with the printer running, share the printer via network and control the printing from your editing computer, or you use an USB print server, connect the printer to that print server and both computers can print via a virtual USB connection to the same printer. Lots of WLAN routers offer such functionality as well to connect and share a USB device/printer/scanner

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, both are stand alone. I'm trying to keep my image-editing/storage computer dis-connected from the internet. As an amature radio operator I abhor powerline adapters. They spew so much interference that I've never considered using them. I have a WLAN client-router connected to my computer; which is connected, via eithernet, to the printer. I'm trying to keep the printer from "calling home" as I thought we'd thought that Canon likes to update printer firmware without coustomet agreement. Am concerned that a firmware upgrader wil obviate 3-rd party cart. refilling. The distance is about 100m between two brick walled houses. Takes a lot of power to get through two 1890 built houses. I'd really like to pull cable between this two houses; but I haven't determened how to do that.
thanks for the ideas.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
o.k., powerline adapters are out of discussion, I understand that. 100m is too far either for a standard WLAN connection, you may be able to establish a connection with special antenna configurations but that's not standard equipment you could buy, you probably could use a WLAN repeater but that may need a power connection in between. You could establish a link via the mobile phone net, but then would would need some volume on your flat rates, not is not practical to send big spool files that way. You could etablish an optical link over that distance, but that's not cheap equipment either. Is there any direct wire/phone wire connection already between these buildings ? There are some funny adaptors available like USB over phone wire - or LAN via phone wire - not as fast as a regular LAN connection but o.k. - probably better than nothing. Or as a last resort . pulling an ethernet cable over that distance. Or google for something like 'WLAN long distance repeater' or WLAN long distance bridge, there is hardware on the market which connects over a mile or more, then you wouldn't need a cable. If your concern is the printer connecting to Canon, you should be able
to block its IP adress for direct internet access in the router if that is /can be connected to the internet.
But typically there are settings, sometimes somewhat hidden , in the driver to en/disable firmware/driver updates, but that's a different subject. I'm not aware that Canon is screening cartridges for datecodes and validity but Epson does something like that, such concern should
be real. Epson blocks older datecodes, and when you do refill for a longer time then your refill cartridges may move out of the accepted time window.

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the response. Can't do mobile phone – don't have one. Optical can't be done- houses are attached to each other with brick walls between and plaster lath walls. I guess I'll just try three routers, one client-bridge to my AP and from there to a client-bridge in the other house with DIY parabolic antennas. Hopefully that will give me enough bandwidth so I don't have to wait hours for the transfer.
That means, though, that I'll have to connect the printer to wireless; didn't really want to do that.
Still don't know what to use on the printer-connected computer to print the image. Don't want to have two copies of LR running. May be an image exported from LR can just be printed using some Lunux driver (the computer connected to the printer is currently running Linux).
Again, thanks for the reply.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Houses are attached to each other - but 100m apart ? o.k., anway, when your printer is connected via LAN to one computer, via the router, and one way or the other as well to that remote computer you can have different OS - Windows, Linux, apple running on those computers and all can print via LAN to that printer, as well via an interim WLAN bridge with a repeater/booster/directional antenna with higher gain. And every computer needs to have the suitable drivers installed, but does not need another computer to print. So you may have to change the configuration somewhat - disconnect the printer from one computer, connect the printer to the router, and all computers can print via LAN to the printer, and you can connect more computers to the LAN, and all could print to the Canon. You may have to change a few LAN settings - fixed IP adress for the printer , check the DHCP range of the router, or assign as well fixed IP addresses to the computers.

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Image editing computer is first floor front house-one, printer computer is second floor rear house-two. I think you're correct. I'll just have to re-set all the IP address to static, remove the DHCP addressing, construct the DIY antennas and figure out how to install the paper then run over to the other house and instantiate the image spooling and then run back to the other house and watch the beautiful image imerge from the printer. Just wish I could move some of the machines closer together. A lot of running for an 80 year old. Unfortunately I don't have someone who could help with the running process. Oh well, such is life.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
As long as you run one paper type only you could reduce your exercise to a minimum, and you cut smaller sizes later. Or you get a notebook computer and run LR on it, even connected to the current monitor, and then you take a walk with your notebook closer to the printer and do your printjobs. I guess one of the options discussed already will suit you at the end.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Perhaps a USB memory stick or portable HD would do the job.

Last edited: