Looking for low cost low volume laser printing

JustNeedBasic

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
hp photosmart 7525
I want buyer advice.
I just need the basic ability to print black on white on the most ubiquitous format, connecting to windows 10.

Please mention the price if you can, both new and used. I don't mind buying used.

I will print about 20 pages per year.
It may seem like I should cheap out on the printer but I've had a horrible experience with inkjet (5$/page bs) and I want to pay more just for the peace of mind.

Thing's I'd like:
Compatible with non-proprietary cartridge's that anyone can manufacture.
low cost toner/page
low cost printer
Reliability (remember it's only 20 pages per year)

Almost worthless:
-size
-wifi. for how rare I print, I couldn't care less about moving it and plugging it in.

Things that are worthless:
- Scanning ability. I already have a scanner.
-More quality than is necessary for a document to be accepted when I'm the customer.
-included printer USB cables. I already have some.
-power consumption. Electricity here is less than 0.06$/kwh and I use electric heating in winter anyhow.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, JustNeedBasic.

I just need the basic ability to print black on white
Do you mean you want to print B&W documents that may or may not contain images or do you want to print B&W photo images?

Your HP 7525 has a 564 Black cartridge which is Pigment ink. This is for B&W text documents on plain paper. If it costs you "5$/page" for even 20 pages then you are doing something much more than simple document or web page printing. It should be pennies per page.

What is wrong with the HP text quality?

What are you printing and on what media?

The more info you give on what you will do with the printer and on what media helps in narrowing your search.

Regardless, a monochrome laser printer would be the way to go for (very) infrequent printing of B&W documents on plain paper. If you want good B&W image quality then stick with inkjets. B&W image printing is a whole category in itself depending on the quality of the prints you desire

I suggest you use Google to research "review low cost laser printers" or similar and read the reviews.

One printer that seemed a nice contender for quality text is the Brother HL-L2350DW or it's updated version the HL-L2370DW. Purchase price $130 or less, much less for a refurbished model, and rated under 5 cents a page. The starter toner cartridge theoretically could outlive you if all you do is 20 pages per year. There are lower cost aftermarket toners. Both do Auto Duplex Printing - can print on both sides of the paper automatically.

https://www.rtings.com/printer/tool...-l2350dw/6061/18603?usage=9435&threshold=0.10

Links to their full reviews at top of that page.

For other lower cost laser printer reviews see

https://www.rtings.com/printer/reviews/best/by-type/black-white